Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth help please. Not on FreeBMD or 1837 or IGI

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 2 Sep 2004 23:36

Trying to find a birth entry for Mabel Flew. On 1891 census she is 5 and born in Cardiff. I have looked on FreeBDM from 1884 to 1887 and the same on 1837online but no sign. I even looked on the IGI. She would not have been born after 1887 as her mother died that year. Where else can I look please.

Judy

Judy Report 2 Sep 2004 23:49

Her parent's names were, what? J

Carol

Carol Report 2 Sep 2004 23:51

Parents were James Flew and Catherine Flew formerly Cross. I have just found Mabel on the 1901 census aged 15 and a servant.

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 2 Sep 2004 23:54

Carol Am confused! You say her mother died in 1887 but on 1891 census it has her mothers name as Annie aged 29, so she could not have died in 1887. Jackie

Carol

Carol Report 3 Sep 2004 00:00

Catherine died in 1887 aged 30. James Flew remarried in 1890 to Annie. I cant find James and Catherines marriage either, though they had numerous children who died in infancy also Catherine died of smallpox and premature labour. I have found the birth and death entries for that one and the birth and death entries for 2 boys in 1881.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Sep 2004 00:02

Hi As has already been remarked, she appears as Mabel Flew in the 1901 census (15, b Cardiff, living in Bristol). The online version doesn't show the "servant" bit. If you have the decoder (and not using a Mac) you might be able to work out the rest of the household. Secondly - the GRO records are a quarterly transcription of the local records. It's possible for names to be missed off or mis-transcribed at that stage. You might be able to get the cert from the local office if you can give enough info. Likely to cost more than the basic £7, though, if they have to do more than minimal searching to find it. UKBMD has links to a number of searchable local sites that are very good - and very quick turnaround, but Cardiff doesn't seem to be amongst them. Some other, similar, threads have talked about finding names on the after-Registration column of the "male" & "female" certs. If it's the right gender in the right place at the right time... Some people were registered significantly after their birth. Was her correct birth place given in the census? I haven't quite summoned up courage to order my probable g-grandfather's B-cert because in 2 censuses he said he was born in Maidenhead and in one he said Ilford. Not exactly the same place, I feel! not sure what else to suggest - I expect someone else will pick this up. Good hunting, anyway. Christine

Carol

Carol Report 3 Sep 2004 00:05

Thanks Christine, I am on ancestry so have access to both the 1891 and 1901 image and that is the only 3 in the household. James and Annie went on to have children, one of them being my paternal grandfather. Birthplace is given as Cardiff on both 1891 and 1901 I will try the variants and possibly contact Cardiff register office and see if they have any ideas. I know some can be helpful and others dont want to know. Hopefully I will be lucky. Thanks again for you suggestions.

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 3 Sep 2004 00:20

Hi Carol Sorry for earlier confusion. Had few credits on 1837 and looked in 1888 to see if she had been registered late but no luck. Have you got James and Catherine in 1881 census? Jackie

Carol

Carol Report 3 Sep 2004 00:36

I do have Catherine and James in the 1881 census along with 2 boys, One aged 1 month and the other 1 year. By the end of 1881 both boys had died.

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 3 Sep 2004 00:45

Hi Carol Found them too. Thought you'd prob have it anyway. Details for Cardiff Registry Office: 48 Park Place Cardiff 029 2087 1690 Jackie (in Cardiff) Who is off to bed!

Carol

Carol Report 3 Sep 2004 01:58

After all that, I have now found her on 1837online. Dont know how I missed it before. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.