Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Great Grand Uncle - the transvestite!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 2 Sep 2004 15:53

Hi there! Have recently discovered that my Great Grand Uncle used to like wearing women's clothing! Sadly though, he had a very rough time of it - often being beaten up and picked on because of it. Apparently he was arrested whilst living in Kensington and imprisoned! Does anyone know how I would go about finding his prison/police records? Not sure if there might be a closure on the records anyway, because this would have been sometime in the 1930/40's. Any advice on how I can find out more would be appreciated. Thanks Alison

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Sep 2004 16:10

Hi Alison I can't help with the court files but I just wanted to say, I wish someone in my family was half as interesting! Hope you find out a great story. Have you checked to see if there was anything in the papers about it? Lynne

Alison

Alison Report 2 Sep 2004 16:17

Hi Lynne, Yea, I know I couldn't believe it when I found out! I only received this information from my half-great-grand-aunt the other day so I haven't been able to research its validity at all yet. She informed me he was "a bit queer...he liked to dress up in women's clothing y'know." He lived with his boyfriend, Charles in Kensington and apparently he couldn't be at her wedding (1942) because he was in prison. My Mother was able to confirm that this was all true - it's amazing how this had not been mentioned before! Wasn't sure where to start researching really.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 2 Sep 2004 23:19

Don't worry, you're not alone! I have Ellen, farmer, and her brother John, ladies hat-maker! Although they never actually appeared in Court...