Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Canadian census (possibly any census)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 2 Sep 2004 06:28

Does anyone know what the "numbered in order of visitation: family or household" means? Are they houses that would typically be on the same side of the road, or could it be one side of the road, and then the other side?.....My ancestor owned a butcher store (or stores) and he lived at number "80" and someone who lived at number "75" was a butcher boy, and I was wondering the likelihood that my ancestor hired a neighbour's son or would it just be coincidental. Thank you, Lisa.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 07:44

Don't know how street numbers in Canada work. Over here streets can go 12345 etc up one side and then down the other side, so no. 1 can be opposite no. 101 for example. They are often 2,4,6 on one side and 1,3, 5 etc on the other. In a road near me, two houses have been pulled down to make another road, so the house numbers jump from 164 to 170. In your case no. 75 could be 5 houses away from no. 80, or if its on the other side of the road, it might not be near at all, particularly if it intersects another road. nell

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 2 Sep 2004 08:26

Thank you very much, Nell. When I have more time I think I'll see if I can find their address. I appreciate your help. :~)

Joan

Joan Report 2 Sep 2004 08:40

I think it would be near enough to follow up as a possibility if you have an idea about it....people did work much more locally then. Good luck. Joan

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 2 Sep 2004 10:08

Thank you Joan and Les for your replies. I've just had another look at the census and it says "family or household" and goes from 75 through 86, so apparently they didn't live at 80, but were the 80th family or household. Sorry for the confusion. :~( Guess I had better do a little research to get the definitions correct, eh? Joan, this is regarding my "brickwall ancestor" and just finding bits about his life is interesting. :~) Les, I appreciate your help--I moved to the States when I was little and no matter how small the detail, I enjoy hearing about "home" (I'm still a Canadian citizen). Thanks Nell, Joan and Les. :~)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 3 Sep 2004 08:32

Hi Les: Are you up by Victoria? My aunt and I were in BC years ago -- I just loved it. We're from Toronto; my ancestors left England and Ireland within two or three decades of each other and settled in Toronto. Isn't researching from another country just lovely? Sooooo, thankful someone recommended this site. :~) Thank you for the offer of help, but I don't think I'll ever find what I am looking for -- my ancestor's marriage -- as they got married in 1857 and I believe Ontario started keeping track in 1859 or so. I've found city directories, which is how I know my ancestors had at least one butcher store -- just can't find his marriage record. I am hoping that with his marriage record would come witnesses, to help confirm family connections. Oh well, I should be happy with the information I do have about him. We live in a small town near San Francisco, which as you may know is north of Hollywood. Thank you for the offer of help, but I know when he died and where he is buried and as I said I need information from 1857, which is just impossible to find. All the best with your research though, eh? Lisa