Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Record of death...PICA CUMBERLAND

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 1 Sep 2004 21:30

MY GRANDFATHER DIED IN 1919 AT PICA IN CUMBERLAND ANYONE OUT THERE FROM CUMBERLAND WHO COULD HELP ME LOCATE WHERE HE MIGHT BE BURIED. HIS NAME WAS JOHN WILLIAM WATSON.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 21:33

Burial registers will be at the local record office, but he might have been cremated, so you may need to contact the local crematoria. The local council should have a list of cemeteries and crematoria. That's if he was buried/cremated in Pica of course. nell

Christine

Christine Report 1 Sep 2004 21:53

THANK'S NELL

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 1 Sep 2004 23:23

Hi I ought to check my history first but "off the top of my head" I don't think a Crem was contemplated in those days. I don't think it was even legal until early in the 20th C. Christine - Just did a quick Google - it was pronounced legal (in Court) in 1884. It was not covered by an Act of Parliament until 1902. It's all on the website of The Cremation Society of Great Britain - "History of Modern Cremation in Great Britain from 1874: The First Hundred Years"

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 23:26

Cremation was declared legal (provided it caused no nuisance to others) in 1884. nell

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 1 Sep 2004 23:32

Indeed, Nell It would have helped if I'd read the dates properly instead of getting tangled up in map dates - 1867... ;-) oops Still, I've had an interesting quick read of the history of cremation. Christine

Christine

Christine Report 2 Sep 2004 10:10

THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR MESSAGES.....PICA IS ONLY A SMALL PLACE,WITH A COUPLE OF ROWS OF HOUSES.....MY GREAT GRANDFATHER REMEMBERS WHEN THERE WAS NO PICA ...ONLY TURNIP FIELDS(newspaper cutting from his golden wedding 1936)...........CHRISTINE.