Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maiden name/married name/middle name - help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 1 Sep 2004 11:50

Hi there, Would like to know what you think about this one. I'm trying to get further back with the PRIOR family, which is my mother's line. My 2*gt grandfather's birth cert came through the post this morning and gave me something to think about. My 2*gt grandfather is William Henry Tom PRIOR, born 28th June 1856 and his parents are listed as Joseph PRIOR (a coachman/domestic servant) and Mary Ann Howard PRIOR (nee DAWE). This surprised me a little as I have William's marriage cert from 1880 (got from Scotlandspeople website, as he married in Brechin) and his parents are listed as George PRIOR (a coachman) and Mary PRIOR (nee HOWARD). It's possible that Joseph may have had a middle name called George, I don't know about that one, however I'm curious about the names HOWARD & DAWE. I'm now not sure whether HOWARD was a middle name that Mary was given when she was born, or whether she had already been married to a chap called HOWARD previously. Of course, it could be that William got confused and wasn't sure himself when he got married! Any thoughts? Andy.

Andy

Andy Report 1 Sep 2004 12:00

P.S. does anyone know where I can track down the address, 2 Orford Place, Chelsea. I've had a look on the Old Maps website and it doesn't exist now. I've checked and double checked the handwriting - it's certainly not Oxford Place and nothing else seems to fit. Thanks Andy.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 12:05

Hi Andy I hope this doesn't sound patronising because I know you've been doing this longer than me - but have you checked out the censuses? I can look at Ancestry for you if you like. And if you've already done this, sorry for stating the obvious! Mandy :)

Andy

Andy Report 1 Sep 2004 12:28

Hi Mandy, I've tried on the 1901 census - not that I expect to find them there then - but it does allow you to search for an address, however I didn't have any joy there. I haven't tried Ancestry, as I don't think you can search for an address. 2 Orford Place is/was in the registration district of St Luke Chelsea.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 13:04

andy - mailing u :-)