Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost children!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Aug 2004 22:47

I need help...yes I know we all do, but seriously...I DO! I have found out that a rellie who died during WWI left a wife and 3 young children. I've managed to trace a possible wife and am waiting for the marriage cert to confirm but how do I go about trying to find the kids???? I have NO IDEA of names only that the eldest had "just turned 11" in 1919. Any help or advice greatfully received. Thanks Caroline

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 31 Aug 2004 23:10

Hi The just-turned-11 child would have been born ca 1908 so, if the surname is at all unusual and you know roughly where the family would have been, you may be able to find (it) on FreeBMD, or at least reduce the options. 1908-1910 aren't complete yet, but 1908 is well on the way. If you know which church, you may be able to find the baptisms, but that will probably require an eye-straining trawl through the microfiche/film to pick up children with the right parent-names. What you need, of course, is the 1911 census - but that's not going to be available for a while yet. Hope someone else has some better ideas. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Aug 2004 23:10

Caroline Right. The eldest had just turned 11 in 1919, which means s/he was born in 1908, the other two would be born sometime after this. (In my experience, children arrive at intervals of roughly 18months-2 years). So you need to go through the births indexes from 1908 until you find the 3rd child. You don't know their names, but I believe that after 1911 (hopefully this will be at least one child) the mother's maiden name is listed beside the father so you will know you have the right parents. You can see when you've got the marriage cert if the births are in the same registration district which will be a clue you have the right ones. GRO indexes are on microfiche in various libraries/record offices around the country, and also in the FRC in London. nell

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Sep 2004 08:52

Does the Commonwealth War Graves site give an address for the widow? If you know that, you may be able to find out whether there was a nearby school where the registers will have recorded the children. Sometimes these are vey helpful, telling date of birth, date of school entry, previous school as well as the usual parents names and address.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2004 10:09

Thanks all for your replies. Unfortunately it's not an unusual name (FOSTER) so it looks like I've got a lot of trawling to do. Thanks again! Caroline