Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone with knowledge of the area around Church Gr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 31 Aug 2004 19:51

In the bowels of my grandfathers briefcase, i have just unearthed a fascinating piece of paper where his mother had kindly forseen my doing this and written a lengthy list of her ancestors! Trouble is, its almost 100yrs old and in places difficult to decipher! I have a birth written down: Mary ****(?), born Dec 25th 1808, near Church Gresley - Aithcoal. Is there a place called Aithcoal? Or does anyone know a name close to this what it could be?? I can trace the surname via marriage cert, as I have all hubbys details, including marriage date etc. Many thanks sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Aug 2004 20:14

Had a look at www*.streetmap*.co.*uk - couldn't see anything obvious, but you might - remove * first. nell

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 31 Aug 2004 20:46

Greeting's Sarah. . . 1. Coalville ? (although that's the modern name ) 2. Albert Village ? not on to day's maps To the East of Church Gresley. on the road from Moira to Woodville (Rawdon Road) if you go to OLD _MAPS * c o * uk remove * and type Albert village and select the Leicestershire one MIKE.

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 31 Aug 2004 20:54

It definately says *it*coal! Really looks like aithcoal! My grandad always said this part of his family came from Burton on Trent way. Definately not Coalville. Church Gresley, looks like Church Grearly, so i could be totally wrong here. What is very clear is Derbyshire, Dec 25th 1808! Arrggghh. You find a gem and it causes so many new headaches! Sarah

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 31 Aug 2004 20:59

Greeting's Again Sarah. . . List of Villages within the same area.:- Burton upon Trent Created 1st July 1837. Mainly in Staffordshire, but included parts of Derbyshire. Sub-districts : Burton upon Trent; Gresley; Repton; Tutbury. GRO volumes : XVII (1837-51); 6b (1852-1930). Ash, Barton Blount, Bearwardcote, Bretby, Burnaston, Caldwell, Castle Gresley, Catton, Church Broughton, Church Gresley, Coton in the Elms, Dalbury Lees, Drakelow, Egginton, Erwall, Findern, Foremark, Foston, Hargate Manor, Hatton, Hilton, Hoon, Ingleby, Linton, Lullington, Marston upon Dove, Mickleover, Newton Solney, Osleton and Thurvaston, Radbourne, Repton, Rolleston (1837-1903), Rosliston, Stanton and Newhall, Stapenhill (1837-94), Sutton on the Hill, Swadlincote, Trusley, Twyford and Stenson, Walton upon Trent, Willington, Winshill (1837-94).

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 31 Aug 2004 21:14

This is a nightmare, i wish i could scan the thing and show you all! I have also been to http://freepages*genealogy*rootsweb*com/~brett/gresley/gresley_maps*htm which is a fantastic site for all the Derby researchers, no joy....! Sarah Thanks for keep helping, I will keep attempting to repay - if you want any lookups etc?!

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 31 Aug 2004 21:16

Church Gresley was definitely Derbyshire as was Burton.

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 31 Aug 2004 21:21

Mike, you are an angel, but don't help me too much on this one, as I have yet to rack your brains on my Leicester stuff!! Believe me I will...lol Sarah

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 31 Aug 2004 21:35

Greeting's Again Sarah.. . . I'll look forward to that then. ..lol :0))) Just post them on Beverly's thread. . . For who are we looking for in (Leicester) MIKE.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 31 Aug 2004 23:34

Just fished out my husband's volume of Moule map reproductions (1830). The nearest places to Church Gresley: Swadlincote Newhall Hartshorn Stanton Cauldwell (with the u) Linton Smisby Using the historical maps link from the OS site, nothing too obvious shows up, but there are places around which aren't stricly vollages - Swaines Park and such. Perhaps you're looking for that kind of place? good luck Christine

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Sep 2004 04:45

Sarah cant help with your problem, sorry, but I have emailed you with a suggestion. Helen Burton was never part of Derbyshire. It has a Derby postcode which confuses some people ( DE). Burton is on the border near Derbyshire but is and always has been Staffordshire. Margaret