Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

sending my tree to another person

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anthony

Anthony Report 31 Aug 2004 10:24

this might make some of you laugh, but is it possible to send my tree to someone email address(i mean the whole database) without having to load it to a disc, if so show me how, thanks anthony

Andy

Andy Report 31 Aug 2004 11:10

Generally speaking you would send your family tree to another individual as a .GED file. You need to find how to save your tree to your hard drive as a gedcom from whatever software you use to create the tree in the first place. Remember where you have saved this on your hard drive. Then when you send your e-mail add this file as an attachment. When the other party receives this file they will be able hopefully to import this to their own software package. Of course if like me you use FTW to create your tree you will lose all the additional info such as scanned images etc when you create the gedcom. However if you tried to send the whole lot images and all the file size would be so huge you'll probably overload their mailbox anyway!