Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Paisley Scotland Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Aug 2004 23:01

An ancestor of mine, according to the London 1871 Census was born in Paisley, Scotland. As Scotland is new territory for me, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any databases for parish records that I can access on-line. My ancestor was born in 1805, so Parish records for Paisley is what I'm mainly looking for. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Please reply to [email protected]. Thanks very much! Jill

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 31 Aug 2004 00:06

You're looking for GROS or Scotland's People. The links can be found on UKBMD if you can't find them on the Resources page here on GC. Because the law is different in Scotland from the law in England & Wales, they are able to put images of the Register pages (not just the indexes) online - for a fee. I got three birth records for my £6 and the remaining credits (which are currently time-expired) will be reactivated and added to any amount I spend on the site in future. hope that helps Christine PS - I use Google & Multimap a lot to find extra info.

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Aug 2004 13:49

Jill I'm afraid you won't be able to see the Parish Records immediately on Scotlands People. Only those Births after 1855 when registration came into force can be dowloaded immediately. However, you will be able to order the Parish Records online. I'm not sure what info they contain as I have not got as far as that yet but no doubt someone else has & can tell you. Rgds Caroline P.S. I am a Paisley "Buddie" and working in Paisley as I type!

Gillian

Gillian Report 31 Aug 2004 17:17

Thanks Christine and Caroline with your replies! My ancestor, William Banks,was born around 1805, so I may have to dig a bit deep then. I'll also check Multimap to check out Paisley vs. Renfrew on the map as I can only find a William Banks on the IGI as being born in Renfrew in 1802, as opposed to the 1871 Census record that would work out to him being born circa 1804/05 in Paisley. It all gets confusing and I hope I have the right person! Jill

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Aug 2004 17:54

Jill Renfrew is right next to Paisley. Paisley is in Renfrewshire although Renfrew is a lot smaller than Paisley. Paisley is, I think, still the largest town in Scotland. Glasgow International Airport is actually in Paisley. I think the old Census lists showed people as being born in Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland. Rgds Caroline