Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ideas please about where he was

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Aug 2004 23:12

see below

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Aug 2004 23:16

My great-great Grandfather, JOHN SMOOTHY was born in Chelmsford (1811 according to the Family Bible; 1813 according to the 81 and 91 censuses). The next time he appears in my records is when he marries in 1858 in Kennington parish church, south London. His address is Church Road, Stockwell (no longer exists) and his profession is "gentleman's servant". In 1861 he is running a lodging house in Richmond, Surrey. In 1871/81/91 he is living at Vestry Cottage, Richmond working as beadle/vestry messenger/overseer. He dies 1894. What I want to know is: how do I find out where he was between being born 1811/13 in Essex and being married 1858 in Surrey? Suggestions please. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Aug 2004 01:18

Me too! Thansk Linda. I don't know who the gentleman was, or where he lived. I have searched the 1851 name indexes at the FRC for the Stockwell/Kennington area without success. As for the 1841, he could be anywhere and I don't think there's an index! nell

Mary

Mary Report 29 Aug 2004 16:32

Hi Helen If you had a number for Church Road, Stockwell, then you could have a look at the trade directories, round about 1858, for the address and find out who lived there. If he was a gentlemans servant then he was probably living at the same address. The 1851 census has street indexes so you would be able to trace all the inhabitants of that road. If you cannot find him on the 1851 census, then I think your only option is the trade directories of both Essex and Sussex. Hope you find him. Mary

Mermar

Mermar Report 29 Aug 2004 18:03

Hi Helen - Have you found his birth in Chelmsford Parish Registers? Once you have that you have his fathers name. As he was a church officer in Richmond, yuo should find quite a bit of information for him in the parish records/vestry minutes etc. If you are lucky you may find some personal information for him. Have you identified the 13 year old visitor on the 1881 census - William Mott. He could very well have been family. Eileen