Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you...? (IGIs)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 28 Aug 2004 19:18

How do you know how much the IGI overs. Looking for Lydia Hurrell's baptism c1750 in Sible Hedingham, Essex. Nothing on the IGI but there are some Hurrells in SH, but not around 1750. Does this mean this era is not covered on the IGI or that there weren't baptisms for that surname at that time?? Chloe

Mystified

Mystified Report 28 Aug 2004 19:31

Basically you have it right. the IGI does not cover everything. It is likely your era has not been transcribed

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Aug 2004 19:43

You can enter IGI by this route - you can see what you are searching http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.*com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle (remove *)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 28 Aug 2004 20:51

Chloe: Some of my ancestors (we think) were from Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex (which is near your town, I believe). The church refused to allow the LDS to copy their records (birth, marriage and death). I ended up "buying" records from the church for my family name. It was expensive, but I couldn't get them any other way.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 28 Aug 2004 21:22

Thanks John, Geoff and Lisa. Bit clearer now. Chloe