Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records about policemen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 28 Aug 2004 15:17

Accorcing to the 1871 census,one of my relatives was a policeman living in Lewisham. Does anyone have any ideas on where I might be able to find any further information about his time in the force and his police career?

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 28 Aug 2004 15:30

I know there is a web site but they don't hold all the records (sorry can't remember web address). Kew hold the main information but I wrote to the Metropolitan Police Service who gave me dates and warrant number which you need when you get to Kew. Wellington House 67-73 Buckingham Gate London SW1E 6BE Sheila

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 28 Aug 2004 15:39

Hello I have a gt-x2-uncle (James CHRISTMAS) who was a City of London policeman (1861 to pre 1895) and found that this contact was very helpful: Juliet Bankes City Archives Manager Corporation of London Records Office PO Box 270 Guildhall London EC2P 2EJ tel: 020 7332 1251 fax: 020 7710 8682 e-mail: CLRO at corpoflondon (dot) gov (dot) uk If you need the Surrey Police then you might want this: Gerry Middleton-Stewart Registry Services Manager and Museum Curator Tel:01483 482155 E Mail : 7454 at surrey (dot) pnn (dot) police (dot) uk It's on the edge of Guildford (actual visits by appointment) - I have the postal address if you need it - just not instantly to hand. The Gt-x2-uncle James was in the Surrey Police Force (twice!) before he joined the City Police. Gerry (she) was very helpful. If they have the records, they send a proforma reponse with all sorts of detail that brings your ancestor to life: build, hair & eye colour, complexion, what their previous employment was... as well as the basic when & where. Both museums are happy to receive donations in recognition of the work they may have put in on your behalf. Christine

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 28 Aug 2004 16:43

Linda This is a good site www(.)policeorders(.)co(.)uk - it will take about 24hours for your reg to be authorised though. much happiness Debi

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 28 Aug 2004 17:02

thank you all for your help. It's encouraging to know there are several places I can try. Linda

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 28 Aug 2004 17:56

Thank you for e-mail sheila. I will try her linda

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 28 Aug 2004 20:33

You could try The Black Sheep Index, they have info related to policemen on there. Good luck. Frances

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 28 Aug 2004 22:50

Thank you Frances.not sure where I will find this? willtry a search on the internet. linda

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 Sep 2004 09:11

Hi In case you have any problems with the Police Orders site access - and there's a thread about people who have - this might be helpful: http://www(.)gendocs(.)demon(.)co(.)uk/police(.)html#HOW I haven't followed any of this up - only just found the link (and they don't have any e/www-addresses on it) - but it looks promising. Christine