Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sheffield (Ecclesall District) - Where is it???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 28 Aug 2004 00:02

Hi I am trying to trace my Dad's side of the family and have found the birth of his mother which was registered in Ecclesall, Sheffield. Birth Cert also has address of Ulverston Road, Ecclesall. Basically I am trying to find out where this is - in particular, does this come under North Riding of Yorkshire, East Riding, West Riding or just plain old Yorkshire? When searching various sites for marriages/other births etc, I come across them all and don't know which is relevant! I am a bit stuck now as I don't come from Yorkshire and don't know where anything is/what districts they would have been under. Thanks Sam

Ginny

Ginny Report 28 Aug 2004 00:19

There is an Eccleshall near Stafford if that's any use!

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Aug 2004 00:19

Sam Genuki has a list of registration districts, I think this must be the one you refer to: Ecclesall Bierlow Created 1st July 1837. Mainly in West Riding, but included parts of Derbyshire. Sub-districts : Bramhall; Dore; Ecclesall Bierlow; Ecclesall Central; Ecclesall North; Ecclesall South; Ecclesall West; Nether Hallam; Norton; Sharrow; Upper Hallam. GRO volumes : XXII (1837-51); 9c (1852-1930). Ecclesall Bierlow, Heeley, Nether Hallam, Norton Within (from 1904), Upper Hallam. Registers now in Sheffield district. Hope this is the information you need. nell

Dawn

Dawn Report 28 Aug 2004 00:22

Hi Samantha, Ecclesall Bierlow comes under the county of Derbyshire West Riding of Yorkshire and for BMD you would be looking for volume 9c. Ecclesall is SW of Sheffield on the outskirt of Sheffield close to the border of the Peak District. Hope this Helps. Dawn

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Aug 2004 00:22

On my road map, Ecclesall is in the south west suburbs of Sheffield. You can find Ulverston Road by searching on: www*.streetmap*.co*.uk/ remove * first. nell

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Aug 2004 00:23

Aren't you tired and emotional tonight Nell? Not even a little bit?

Sam

Sam Report 28 Aug 2004 00:31

Thanks to all of you. When questioned, my dad just recalls his mum's family as coming from Sheffield, but not where in Sheffield. As mentioned, the birth cert gives details for Ecclesall so when I am searching under a name for my dad's grandad/grandmother, I never knew which district/area was relevant to the names that were being thrown at me! Thanks again Sam

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 28 Aug 2004 10:10

Hi Samantha I used to live in Ulverston Road in Sheffield, which is now in South Yorkshire; it is (or was in the 1980s) in the Heeley district. It's a small road of terraced houses parallel to the railway line, about a couple of miles from Sheffield city centre. It's sandwiched between two main roads in Sheffield; Abbeydale Road and Chesterfield Road. Hope this helps. Regards Helen

Sam

Sam Report 29 Aug 2004 00:55

Thanks Helen, That does help, thank you. I am from Stoke on Trent and find it far easier searching for people from this area. Even in the 1800's I have local knowledge that will allow me to 'guess' which districts particular towns may have been under back then. When you don't know the area at all, it's a total nightmare as doing a name search gives you lots of results you but don't know which could be relevant as you don't know where these places are in relation to one another! Sam

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 30 Aug 2004 08:51

Good luck with your researches, Sam - if there's anything else I can help you with, you can always e-mail me directly. Although not a native Sheffielder, I did live there for four years. Best regards Helen

Sue Lambrini Smith

Sue Lambrini Smith Report 30 Aug 2004 11:46

hi live in yorkshire. i have the 1871 census and ecclesall bierlow is on it. sue.what year is on the bc.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Jan 2005 21:34

My family originate from Sheffield and I live there too. Which surname are you researching? My Sheffield family tree includes Brammer, Brunt, Whitham and Stagg. You are welcome to contact me if you require any further information about Sheffield. Liz

Sam

Sam Report 14 Jan 2005 22:15

Hi Elizabeth I have given up on this side of my family for a while, Mum's side is far easier to trace so concentrating most of my effort side that for the moment! Names from Sheffield area so far are Willis and Bradshaw. When I get back to this line and discover more names, I will let you know if I find anything that matches yours. Sam