Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestery.Com

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Aug 2004 23:08

I'm quite new to Genes reunited, and picked up some good info already - your a knowlegable lot out there!! I'm thinking of taking the 14 day trial with Ancestory - what are peoples experiences - is it a good site? is there better? - what can you get on there that you can't get anywhere else? Is it easy to cancel if you want to? Are the 1841/51/61/71 Census records available from them - if not whats the best place to go for these - I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for good information thats not too complecated to find. Thanks folks Jackie

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 27 Aug 2004 23:14

why don't you try the free trial on ancestry first that's been mentioned on these boards. It's good until the end of september and you should know by then whether it is going to be useful to you. You don't have to put your credit card details on so you don't have to worry about cancelling. http://trial(.)gale(.)com/pubacd username pubacd17 password durable then click on biography/genealogy on left hand side then 'database' on 'AncestryPlus' when you get to Ancestryplus homepage click on UK and Ireland records on righthand side, half way down under globe hope this helps joanne

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2004 23:43

I had a sub to Ancestry when I started out and got a lot of info from the 1891 census (they didn't have the 1871 or the 1901 then, which they do now, and of course you can see the original forms). The 1881 census is available free at www.familysearch.org. The 1861, 51 and 41 censuses are not available online, though there are some indexes around particularly for Gloucestershire/Warwickshire. These are available on various commercial CDs, and also on microfilm. Local record offices have the ones for their area, and all of them are at the Family Record Office in London. They are free to search, and you see the originals. They also have 1901 on microfiche which is easier to do some searches on I've found (ie addresses). I had no problem cancelling my subscription. nell

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Aug 2004 00:01

Hi Joanne, can you repeat the web site address for me - keep getting page unobtainable - thanks - Jackie

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Aug 2004 00:27

Jacky Take out the brackets!

Carol

Carol Report 28 Aug 2004 12:25

I signed into Ancestry as a guest user (dont have to give any credit card details) a few weeks ago. Went back there today and found info i had missed before! On the 1901 cencus a rellie had added the name Tait, couldnt figure out why and there on ancestry was a marrige to the same name as my rellie to a Joseph Tait !! and there they both are living with the original family list in 1901. Sometimes the brain just switches off! So its worth just signing up cos you never know what you'l find (even if it takes more than one look) Happy hunting carol