Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Immaculate Conception?!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helena

Helena Report 27 Aug 2004 17:30

Isaac Foot appears on the 1881 census, but I can't find a reference for his birth (Abt 1843 in Horrabridge, Devon) using Ancestry.com. Anyone know why this might be or where else I could try online? Help appreciated.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2004 17:38

Ancestry's civil registration is the same info as FreeBMD, so it isn't complete yet. 1837online is complete and you should find it there. Alternatively, the register office for that area would be able to find it. nell

Ivy

Ivy Report 27 Aug 2004 18:50

Also, registration not tightened up until towards the end of the century - my great-grandmother had to carry her christening certificate around because her parents forgot to register her (I think she was their fourth child!) These days they use the hospital records to chase you up if you don't go in and register.

Janet

Janet Report 27 Aug 2004 19:25

Helena Isaac Foot is a member of the famous Foot family with some origins at or near Horrabridge, not too far from Plymouth and I think you will find the family were Methodists so it might be an idea to look at the nonconformist registers for his birth, but this family have been very well documented and researched so you do not need to search very much! Just do a google search and key in the name in inverted commas as follows"Isaac Foot" and "Isaac Foot"+Horrabridge and you should find everything about the family on there. I think one of the Isaac's was a solicitor and most of the Foot family were born in Plymouth. Certainly their connection to Plymouth has always been very strong.There's loads of info available about this family. Janet