Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surname - NEMSELL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 26 Aug 2004 21:55

Please help!!! I am trying to find the above surname, but every site I go on - and enter this name - nothing ever appears. This person was born in the Thornbury area around 1930. Even when I search the 1901 Census (for previous relations) nothing appears. Can anyone help me with this query please. Suzanne

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Aug 2004 23:12

I put this name into the ONS surnames database (tells you roughly how many there are in the country), the 1901 census index, the 1881 census index and Ancestry's England & Wales Civil Registration. Absolutely nothing. Where do you have the name from - have you any certificates with it, or do you think it could be a misspelling of another name, which is why you can't find it? nell

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 26 Aug 2004 23:56

I wondered about transcriptions from handwriting, too. Also, letters get transposed when people type plus N & M are adjacent on a keyboard. If you put NEMSELL into Google, you get nothing but if you put in MENSELL you get about 275 hits. There are six records of MENSELLs on FreeBMD: Mensell, Elizabeth Ann who was born & died in 1889 in South Shields; Mensell, Emily 1901 June Births Warrington Mensell, Female 1843 September Births Aylsham Mensell, Richard Carl 1910 March Deaths West Ham Mensell, William Charles 1875 March Births Basford (I got these via Ancestry.com, but that only searches the FreeBMD database - not necessarily the most up-to-date version). None of those appears to be near any of the Thornburys on Multimap: South Glos, Hereford & Devon. This isn't to say that you haven't got the right name, but just that it does seem possible. hope you have better luck Christine

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Aug 2004 18:45

Thanks for looking. The name appears on my parents marriage cert. The person was a witness. I have spoken to her husband (as she has now passed away) and hopefully he will send me her birth cert. I will keep this updated as soon as I get more info. Thanks again Suzanne

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 27 Aug 2004 20:28

I have ancestors with an unusual name, Horsup. The name was more or less made up after two brothers named Allsopp argued and parted company. Just a thought but if the name isn't a mistranscription perhaps something similar happened. Good luck Janet