Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish record CD's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 26 Aug 2004 14:59

I found a marriage in 1833 for an ancestor using the Paul Joiner marriage index, very basic names and area but the right people so I thought I would invest in a CD for N.Yorks as I have loads of rellies from before 1837. What a disapointment, £29.99 for hardly anything at all. Are there any good CD's out there that actually do what they promise?

Jackie

Jackie Report 26 Aug 2004 15:22

i have the BVRI 2nd edition if you would like me to have a look. Trouble is, again, not all areas are covered and there are huge gaps. Think the only way is to plough through Parish Records on fiche if you live near the county records office or an LDS Centre. Have you tried the local Family History Society? Jackie

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 26 Aug 2004 16:48

Linda. I have the west riding one and that is the same, many parishes are not covered at all and those that are end in 1812. If you had asked on the boards I would have advised against buying it. I don't know of any "complete" disks. ( many parish records are incomplete anyhow) Bob

Mary

Mary Report 26 Aug 2004 17:43

I have had the same trouble. I have ordered films from the LDS centre locally and had print outs from them which are the same as the certificates. The only other answer if you can`t see the original parish records is to get in touch with the Family History Centre for the area you are looking for and see if they have them on micro fiche for sale. You can then view them at your local library. Mary

Linda

Linda Report 27 Aug 2004 13:31

Thanks everyone for your replies, I just think sometimes the advertising on these things is misleading. I do belong to the relevant FHS, I just thought as I had a large family (none of them on the CD needless to say) I might find them all. The marriage details I started looking for were William Corns and Selina Lenton married in Stockton 1833