Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Puzzle over relationships

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Aug 2004 09:30

I have a puzzle over the relationships in part of my family tree and wondered if anyone can help? The following is confirmed: Children of Joseph Belfield and Mary (Fox) Sarah b. 7 April 1847 Longnor, Staffs James b. 18 May 1850 Longnor Charlotte b. 23 April 1858 Longnor (details from respective birth certs) In 1851 census 17 Islington Longnor Joseph Bellfield (sp) age 36 b.Longnor Mary age 29 b. Fawfieldhead Thomas age 9 b. Longnor Joseph age 6 born Longnor Sarah age 3 born Longnor James aged 8 months Longnor In the 1881 census Joseph Belfield age 67 b. Longnor Mary Belfield age 59 b. Fawfieldhead (so would seem to be the same as above) Isaac Belfield grandson age 13 b. Longnor Frederick s. Belfield age 12 b. Longnor Benjamin belfield age 5 b. Longnor I have traced the mothers of all the grandchildren shown above (all unmarried!) Isaac- mother Ann Belfield b. 16 Mar 1868 Dog Lane Longnor Frederick- mother Sarah Belfield b. 10 Sept 1868 Fawfieldhead Benjamin- mother Martha Belfield b. 28 Feb 1876 Dog Lane, Longnor There is an obvious connection between Martha and Ann, same address and they are linked to the same Joseph and Mary Belfield as Sarah. However, Martha's birth cert (16 Feb 1854) shows her parents as Joseph Belfield and Mary (BRADBURY) not Fox. This has been difficult to explain clearly but hope someone can establish relationships.

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Aug 2004 10:29

Margaret I have drawn up a tree showing your family and am going to study it over a cup of coffee. But before I do, can you just clarify something. You say Martha was b. 1858. But surely Charlotte was born 1858. Is the Mary Bradbury on Martha's cert married to Joseph? nell PS I only found out recently, that if you do the first posting in a message it comes out as one rather difficult to read paragraph. If you have a long query, you can just type "see below" and post it. Once it is on the board you can "Add reply" and type your query complete with paragraphs, which helps to make it easier to read. n.

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Aug 2004 11:22

Thanks Nell for the tip about posting long messages. To confirm: Charlotte's date of birth- 23 April 1858. Details from birth cert - father: Joseph Belfield Occupation 'Carrier" - mother Mary Belfield (formerly Fox) Longnor Staffs Martha's birth cert shows: 16 Feb 1854 Longnor - Father Joseph Belfield, Occupation Labourer - Mother Mary Belfield (formerly Bradbury)

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Aug 2004 12:48

I am now more confused! Have you tried to find birth references for Mary Fox and Mary Bradbury to establish that they are two different women? Or possibly (for some reason) the entry on Martha's cert is incorrect? nell

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Aug 2004 13:22

Hi Nell I have tried to find marriages for Joseph BELFIELD and Mary FOX and Joseph Belfield and Mary Bradbury using Staffs BMD online. Their dates of birth would be before 1837 so would require Parish register search so may have to do this. You can see the puzzle though as Martha, Anne and Sarah and Charlotte are connected through common links with Joseph and Mary. ????? I will persevere! Thanks for suggestions so far.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 24 Aug 2004 14:51

freeBMD's got Joseph Belfield m Mary Bradbury in 1839, which could make her the mother of all of them who was the informant on the birth certificates?

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Aug 2004 16:41

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I have birth certificates for the following a) 18 May 1850 Longnor, Staffs James - son of Joseph Belfield, Labourer and Mary Belfield formerly Fox Informant Mary Belfield (X her mark) b) 7 April 1847 Longnor Staffs Sarah- daughter of Joseph Belfield, Labourer and Mary Belfield, formerly Fox Informant Joseph Belfield (X his mark) c) 23 April 1858 Longnor Charlotte daughter of Joseph belfield, Carrier and Mary Belfield, formerly Fox. Informant: Mary Belfield formerly Fox (her mark) In 1881 census the mothers of Isaac, Frederick and Benjamin were all 'domestic servants' some distance from Longnor. Isaac's mother Ann Belfield (no birth cert for Ann) is shown age 38, unmarried- servant in the household of Walter Barlow, Bank View, Brinnington, Stockport N.B. Charlotte Belfield (b. 1858) was also a servant in Stockport in 1881 Sarah Belfield (1847) was the mother of Frederick but I cannot find her in 1881 census Martha Belfield (1854) - daughter of Joseph Belfield, Labourer and Mary Belfield, formerly Bradbury. - Informant Mary Belfield (X her mark). Martha was the mother of Benjamin Belfield born Feb 1876 at Dog Lane, Longnor. No father shown. Mother Martha Belfield, domestic servant. - In 1881 census Martha is shown in the household of Thomas Finney of Blake Edge, Fairfield, Buxton Derbyshire. - Martha married the brother of Thomas, Richard Finney (1882) in Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs, the same town in which Charlotte also marries in the same year. Note all the connections!!!

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Aug 2004 19:12

see below