Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

only have mothers maiden name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 23 Aug 2004 23:15

hi i only have my mothers maiden name ,'Canning', and ofcourse her maried name. I know where she lived, how do i go about finding out further details so i can start that side of my family tree ?

Anne

Anne Report 23 Aug 2004 23:19

If you buy your mother's birth certificate it will have her parents' names on it, her father's occupation, and also where she was born. Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Aug 2004 23:20

If you have your mothers' marriage cert it will tell you where she was living at the time of marriage and what her occupation was, as well as her father's name and occupation. You can trace her birth certificate which will give you her mother's name as well, and then get her parents' marriage details, etc. Soon you will be back to 1901 and you can find the family on the census. Nell

Julie

Julie Report 23 Aug 2004 23:23

thankyou for your help but where would i buy a certifcate from ?

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Aug 2004 23:34

Birth certs are obtainable online from: www*.gro*.gov*.uk/gro/content/ remove * . But you need to have the GRO (General Register Office) reference first. " Registration Records establish individuals in the context of precise dates, places and occupations: birth records give parents' names and marriage records ages and father's names and death certificates give ages and, from 1969, places of birth. They are indexed per quarter year at the Family Records Centre at 1, Myddleton Street, London EC1R 1UW , at Mormon Family History Centres or at ww.1837online.com. Websites such as freebmd.rootsweb.com contain partial indexes to the records but, if you do not find what you want on websites, search the original indexes. " nell .