Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you find the right 1910 US census image on

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Russell

Russell Report 23 Aug 2004 13:21

Hello everyone, I am currently doing a lookup for someone on Ancestry and I am struggling a bit. (see below)

Russell

Russell Report 23 Aug 2004 13:24

I have searched for the name and found it. When I click on the name, I am given a series of numbers; Series T624 Roll 1057 Part 1 Page 114A There is then only the option of browsing the area. What do the above numbers mean and how do they relate to the browsed images?? Thankyou for your help Russell

Russell

Russell Report 23 Aug 2004 13:27

Hello Christine, No, sorry, I mean the 1910 US census. I will add this to the thread title. Russell

Pat

Pat Report 23 Aug 2004 14:06

Russell, I have a subscription to Ancestry for the UK and Ireland, I'm now trying out the Ancestry free trial for the American Census and the same thing has happened to me a few times. I dont understand it either, I know you can't view famous people's census entries and wondered was my rellies living near the famous LOL... I was actually going to email Ancestry and ask what its all about??? By the way just an observation I find the American Census images very hard to read, there is too much information for the size of the image. Pat

Judy

Judy Report 23 Aug 2004 18:26

Russell....I had Ancestry at one time and I don't recall exactly how to do, so forgive me for not being able to walk you through this one, one step at a time. The 1910 US census is not indexed as of yet on Ancestry. If you click on Ancestry's home page and click on the census year for 1910. If I recall correctly, you will then be given a choice of states to choose from....choose the state your ancestor was from. If there is then a list of counties to choose from, choose the county. Use the information that you got when you searched for the name: Series T624 Roll 1057 Part 1 Page 114A If the county is unknown to you, the above information should help you determine what county.....this may take some pecking through the records. An example of being on the right track....you have the state and county.....using the page number given, in this case, 114A, look towards the bottom of the site page.....you can enter the page number and it will take you to page 114A and you will be able to view the original census page. I'm not sure the above will make sense to you....as I've done it many times in my Pennsylvania 1910 census research and it makes sense in my head....a fat lot of good that does you though....LOL! I can walk you through it step by step and there are several options on how to do that....you can e-mail me direct if you'd like for those options. Judy

Gary

Gary Report 23 Aug 2004 18:32

and when you finaly find the image they are rubbish, nothing like the uk census images, they are hard to save, you only get the part you can see, not all of it, and they will not zoom out much without distorting to unreadable, the american images are poor not just the census, the draft cards are as bad.

Judy

Judy Report 23 Aug 2004 18:38

I can't say one way or the other if UK records are easier to view or not as I've only the chance to use the US records but I had no problem finding what I needed and deciphering the records.....which were invaluable to my research. I did find the blank Census forms that Ancestry provides most helpful so that the information found in census records could be notated in a uniform, understandable format.....just my two cents worth! Judy

Gary

Gary Report 23 Aug 2004 19:56

i hear what you say Judy, the blank census lets you read what each colum says and you can work out what the entries are, but the column headings on the us images are unredable, now the uk images are so clear you can read all column headings, no mater how small, you dont need a blank census to decipher them with.

Crista

Crista Report 23 Aug 2004 20:12

Russell, What are the details of the person you're seeking? Crista

Russell

Russell Report 23 Aug 2004 20:20

Thankyou for your replies everyone, Crista, I am looking for 2x1910 images for our friend Max. I found Charles Barfoot in New Jersey and sent her the image, although she has not been able to open it as yet. The other 2 are in Syracuse, New York. I have got all their details from the index but cannot find the images. These are; Ernest Barfoot 13-WD Syracuse, Onondoga b1883 Series T624 Roll 1057 Part 1 Page 114A and James W Barfoot 2-WD Syracuse b1879 Series T624 Roll 1055 Part 2 Page 68B Any help would be greatfully received :-) :-) Russell

Crista

Crista Report 23 Aug 2004 21:05

Russell, The only way I've been able to find rellies on this census is to scroll through all the pages for a particular ward. Ernest Barfoot 13-WD Syracuse, Onondoga b1883 For Ernest this means going to New York, Onondogo county, Syracuse and then all the returns for ward 13 which covers districts 154- 159. If there's an easier way I'd certainly like to know about it. Crista

Russell

Russell Report 23 Aug 2004 21:14

Thanks Crista, The numbers given in the index must mean something!! Does anyone know if there is a shortcut?? Russell

Crista

Crista Report 23 Aug 2004 21:35

Russell, Here it is. What is the relationship between image page numbers and actual census page numbers? The image numbers used on the site, i.e. 1 of 22, show how many images are in either the Enumeration District or Township, and which image is being viewed. If you are viewing image 3 of 22 that means you are looking at the 3rd of 22 images. If you want to see which image you are looking at for the entire roll, or the true image number, you should look at the URL. The number following "rp=" is the actual image number (It's sort of like a microfilm frame number). These numbers were created during the scanning process and do not relate to any pre-existing data or indexes. Handwritten page numbers that appear on the actual image were written in at the time the census was compiled. Pages will often have both an A and a B part to them. These are the page numbers referred to in an index such as the Soundex or the AIS. To find an image using a page number takes a little work. First locate the ED or township of interest. Look at the page number written on the first image. If image 1 is page 1A and you want page 3b you will need to go forward 4 images to image 5. That is one image for every page number, i.e. 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a and 3b. In cases like the AIS there may be no easy way to tell which page number is being used. The AIS may reference one page number but there may be as many as three or four page numbers on an image. Crista