Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do I find marriage records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val :~)   from West Wirral

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 22 Aug 2004 18:25

Hi everyone Can someone tell me if there is any way I can find a marriage without knowing the exact year.???? I am also unsure which area London or Lancashire. Hope someone can help!!! Val

Geoff

Geoff Report 22 Aug 2004 18:56

Don't tell us you've no names either!

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Aug 2004 18:56

Val Do you have any idea when - which century (hopefully which decade) and the names of the people concerned? nell

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 22 Aug 2004 20:06

Hi Geoff and Helen Yes I know!! it did make me sound like an idiot!!! I know the names and rough idea of year they wed. Lilian Watt & Frederick Henry George, they would have been married sometime between 1915 & 1925!! Thanks to you both for quick replies Val

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Aug 2004 20:22

Valerie I think you will have to trawl through the GRO indexes as there's not much on FreeBMD yet for 20th century. Its in big books at the Family Record Centre, London, or on microfiche in record offices and some libraries. Alternatively you can pay and search 1837online. nell

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 22 Aug 2004 21:21

Thanks Nell for all your help, unfortunately I don't live anywhere near London to trawl through any books larg or small. I will however see what I can find on 1837 online. regards Val

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Aug 2004 21:27

Val You might find somewhere near you that has it on microfiche. Either way it'll be tough on the old eyes! nell

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 26 Oct 2004 14:49

I would just like to say a big thankyou to everyone who tried to help me, I know how difficult it was. Unfortunately it still is a problem, I've found nothing about a marriage between them!!! Thanks again Val

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 26 Oct 2004 16:10

on the face of it, the blank on your father's birth cert suggests there might not be a wedding to look for. But how is the mother named, on his cert and his sister's? Does it say Lilian George formerly Watt or just Lilian Watt? Who signed the certs as informant?

Ozzies

Ozzies Report 26 Oct 2004 17:15

go to online1837 is where i locate al my wedding births and deaths finds and u can order the certificate online to good luck

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 26 Oct 2004 22:48

Hi Robin Lillian was Lillian George on both birth certificates, and she registered both births. Frederick Henry George was on as the father. Val

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 26 Oct 2004 22:49

Hi Beverly Thanks for suggestion, do you know how much it costs to register with 1837 please. Val

Irene

Irene Report 20 Jan 2005 23:11

Valarie Well it depends on how much you want to spend. How common is the name you are looking for. Pick the least common name, when searching on 1837(.)com Cost to look at a page is 10p or 1 credit. you have to buy 55 credits = £5.00 to start with. As you know the names of both couples then you should be able to find them easy enough. First don't forget to save each page and label them with the year and qtr. After Mid 1911 they started to put in the partners surname in the indexing. So all you have to do is look for the one with the matching surname. When you have found it then check that the partners details are exactly the same . Year quarter district volume and page number of course the surname will be the other way round and make sure the first names are what you have. Good Luck Irene Now they have made searching easier on 1837 you should be able to get the page with their first name on without looking at to many pages, min cost is .40p per year so 10 years could cost a min of £10 or you could double that.

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 20 Jan 2005 23:20

Thanks Irene I did buy credits on 1837, but I still cannot find their marriage!!!! It is such a disapointment. Do you have any other ideas as to where i can look please?regards Val

Irene

Irene Report 21 Jan 2005 08:25

Hi Val Other than do you know the Church or at least the district, which will mean checking all the Churches. Some have been missed in the indexing but as this is the only one there would not be another source. The only other thing could they have mis-spelt the name(s), I have examples of these which makes it very frustrating. Simpkins spelt Timpkins, only found this on Freebmd before 1900 but I did find it under g grandmother. Missed from indexing I did find it in the Church records which was lucky it was in the village they lived. Another the wife didn't have the surname I thought, she had been born before her parents marriage but she did put her father on the marriage certificate. Also they didn't alway use their given names the right way round, or just missed it off altogether. Granddad was just Charles but he was Christened Charles Edward, I know this is the right one because of the name Dridge which is unusal the right place and time. Another is Arthur, born Ebenezer Arthur, the only time I have found both names (other than on his birth) is on his death certificate. Could she have been married before is another possiblity. If this is possible then you will need to check the indexing for any possible names, this could get to expensive on 1837 so try your local family history centre and ask if they can or have the indexing, at least then you can check it free. But start looking from when she was 16. Can't think of any more Irene

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 21 Jan 2005 11:42

Hi Irene She was 16 in 1918, so where do you suggest I try please?! I thought there wasnt a way to find anything else out about a person after 1901, and surely I wont get any info on the 1911 either when that census is available aprox 2012 Ill be very grateful, as I've said many times before, for any help!!! best regards Val