Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Records - east London (ish)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 21 Aug 2004 19:06

I'm heading off to the London Metropolitan Archives to look at records for: St Leonards SHoreditch, Christ Church Hoxton, St John the Baptist Shoreditch, St Dunstan Stepney, St Judes Whitechapel...... If anyone knows any different about where they're held can you let me know as I've left it too late to call the LMA and check

Pat

Pat Report 21 Aug 2004 19:23

Zoe, I know St. Leonards, Hoxton, St.John The Baptist Shoreditch very well. They are a bit of way from Stepney and Whitechapel I presume you are looking for different things? I think St. Leonards was the old Workhouse it became a local Hospital then Geriatric Hospital, Dont know if its still there, it was a lovely place in the 1970's and the last time I saw it, in the mid 1980's. St. John the Baptist is on Pitfield St and had a primary school attached to the Church, as far as I remember a lovely very old Church. Anyway sorry I can't help you as I dont know if you are going to the right place to check, just could not help reminiscing, Hope you dont mind. Good Luck Pat x

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 21 Aug 2004 19:35

No St Leonards Shoreditch records ARE held at the London Metropolitan Archives as I have been there myself to look them up. You can also try the IGI at FamilySearch.org depending on what years you are interested in.

Zoe

Zoe Report 21 Aug 2004 19:55

Pat don't mind you reminiscing at all - its nice to be able to imagine the place - I used to drive past Christ Church and St John the Baptist on my way to work in Wapping. Benjamin I'm actually wanting to check some entries on teh IGI to check that they're correct and to see if I can find the missing children so thanks for confirming

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 29 Jan 2009 23:16

St Leonards is still standing and had a plaque on the outside about it's previous use as a workhouse. It's on Kingsland Shoreditch.

There are also plaques dedicated to Edith Cavell a nurse.

Gypsyjoe