Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pubs in Foleshill?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Supergran

Supergran Report 20 Aug 2004 16:16

My GGG Grandfather Richard Barson is described as a licensed victular in 1851- presumabley a pub landlord. Can I find out which pub on any websites? He lived in Foleshill Warwick. Thanks Brenda

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Aug 2004 18:12

In order to run a pub he would need to be licensed and records of this should be in the local record office. Additionally, CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) may have info about pub histories. Try googling to find their website. They will certainly know about pubs that are still there. Nell

Supergran

Supergran Report 21 Aug 2004 06:24

I've put a message on the website you mentioned Marion- so fingers crossed! Once I get a name I might be able to find some more info as you did. Thanks Iwill try & & find the CAMRA site Helen its worth a try! Brenda

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Aug 2004 11:06

bRENDA tHIS IS THE camra SITE: www*.camra*.org*.uk Amongst other things they have some photos of historic pub interiors which will give an idea of what they looked like. My husband's grandparents ran a pub called the Pakenham Arms which I pass every time I go to the FRC. They also ran one called the Downham in Hoxton/Shoreditch. I went to the road yesterday but its all changed and there's no sign of it, though they did have the Hackney Archives office there (shut of course!) nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Aug 2004 11:10

Brenda A list of pubs currently in Foleshill cab be found by googling "Foleshill pubs" [can't put the web address here, it just won't work even with * in it. ****!] nell

Sara

Sara Report 21 Aug 2004 16:13

On the 1861 Census I found: Richard Barson aged 77 Inn Keeper Sarah his wife aged 70 William (son) aged 53 unmarried ribbon weaver Richard (son) aged 40 unmarried ribbon weaver Sarah (Daughter) aged 34 unmarried ribbon weaver John (son) widower aged 43 Sarah (Grand daughter) aged 12 ALL BORN FOLESHILL and All at the MINERS ARMS Aldermans Green Registration District 339 Foleshill & Sowe Piece RG9 / 2197 Folio 107 Page 5 1851 Census: Spelt BARSEN Richard 70 Licensed Vitualler Sarah 66 William 43, George 42, Richard 35, Sarah 21, Mary 19 & Hannah 17 All born Foleshill living Aldermans Green Also John Barsen 35 Fm Lab, Elizabeth 32 Wife Hand loom weaver William 10 son Sarah 2 Daughter All living Aldermans Green 1841 Census: all at Aldermans Green and spelt Barson: Richard 60, Sarah 55, William 35, Richard 25, John 20, Hannah 15, Sarah 12, plus what looks like another family of thre same name in the same place: George 32, Richard 12, Sarah 10, Hannah 6 & Henry 20 All born Foleshill Piece 1154/5 Book 5 Folio 25 Page 12 The phone number of the Miners Arms at Aldermans Green by the way is: 024 76360457 All the best to you Any use?

Tracey

Tracey Report 21 Aug 2004 16:31

Hi Brenda, There's also this site:- www(.)pubsindex(.)co(.)uk Tracey

Supergran

Supergran Report 21 Aug 2004 19:01

Thanks Tracey. I did try that site but it didn't show the info I needed. Kept it in in favs though -for future reference. I seem to have a lot of publicans in my rellies ! Thanks again Helen Sara- have emailed you direct Brenda