Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Husband not registered on marriage index but wife

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 20 Aug 2004 10:49

I have found a relevant female marriage on 1837.com and reversed it to find the husbands full name but it's not there. Check 2 or 3 times to ensure I am not going mad. The only possible person has a very slightly different name. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a typo, or omission or am I missing something? Thanks, Sarah

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Aug 2004 11:01

Could be a mistranscription for the man. What are the real name and the found name? Chrissie

Sarah

Sarah Report 20 Aug 2004 11:10

Thanks, the womans name is McWhirter, and the only possible spouse name listed for a man is McWhitter. There is no other name that is likely - I think a typo is a explanation but is an omission a possibility?

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Aug 2004 11:17

I am a bit confused - wouldn't the womans name be different for a marriage (ie her Maiden name?). Chrissie

Sarah

Sarah Report 20 Aug 2004 11:25

Sorry, probably not explaining myself properly. I am looking for a marriage for Williams. I have found a Catherine McWhirter that married a Williams. I reversed the search for the same period to find the first name of the Williams man and found a John Williams but he married a McWhitter. Does this clarify what I mean?

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Aug 2004 11:25

Sarah Out for the rest of the day - will check back later. Or you can e-mail me. Chrissie Just found your last message - I would say if her first name was the same it is probably her and just a mistranscription.

Geoff

Geoff Report 20 Aug 2004 11:50

I didn't think you could search 1837 for spouse.

Sarah

Sarah Report 20 Aug 2004 12:25

Thanks for this Chrissie. If you look up a mans name it will give the maiden name of the woman he married (just her surname). If you look up a womans maiden name, it will give you the surname of the man she married.

Lynne

Lynne Report 20 Aug 2004 13:02

Geoff It depends on the year, I think later on they added the spouses names but not sure when. Lynne

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Aug 2004 13:09

Is the reference the same? If it's the same Registration District, Volume number and page, then it's just a typo and you've no need to worry. The earlier volumes were originally hand written, so mistakes would inevitably creep in, particularly with spouses surnames. Brenda

Sarah

Sarah Report 20 Aug 2004 16:05

Brenda, of course! You're a star - thanks for pointing this out. It is the same so I have my man for sure!! Thanks everyone. Sarah