Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help needed to trace any relatives in scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 19 Aug 2004 12:37

hi i,m new to this and trying to trace any relatives i may have. i have now found my dad(we are meeting soon) he now lives in manchester and lost contact many years ago with his family and i have no idea how to go about trying to find and relations he might have, but he is from scotland and his surname is sloggie any help would be much appreciated thanks tracey x

Lynne

Lynne Report 19 Aug 2004 14:37

Hi Tracey All of my ancestors are Scottish so if I can be any help to you, feel free to ask. Have you had a look on the Family Search site for starters? They have 69 Scottish Sloggies on the IGI. You really need your Dad to tell you his parents names to get you started (they should be on his birth certificate). If he doesn't have his birth certificate then you will need to get one from the registry office where he was born. Happy Hunting Lynne x

Tracey

Tracey Report 19 Aug 2004 15:40

thanks lynne, new to this so have no idea where to look have just been nosying and there are different sites, do you know the best one to subscribe to for finding names, adress phone no etc

Sheila

Sheila Report 19 Aug 2004 15:57

Hi Again Tracey, Hows things? Have you got any information from your dad yet if you want to look on-line you could try www.infobel.com, you will have to search by county though, also have youtried on the name search facility on the boards to see if there are any other Sloggies around. If you get any information from you dad let me know and i will do a look up for you, there are 18 Sloggies down for Scotland on the 2003 electoral roll 36 in the whole of the UK must be some relatives in there somewhere. Anyway Take Care Sheila

Tracey

Tracey Report 19 Aug 2004 16:08

thanks sheila, am seeing my dad at weekend so will find out what i can and send an e-mail to see if you can help. once again thanks so much for the info that has put me in touch i wouldn 't have had a clue where to start or how to access(still don't) any sites. thanks tracey

Sheila

Sheila Report 19 Aug 2004 16:44

Hi Tracey, No problem :O) Forgot to mention www.b4usearch(.)co.uk but i think they may charge now also if you type in www.dailymirror(.)co.uk they have a people finder column, not brilliant but sometimes helps. Good Luck Sheila. p.s. and if you have any problems finding anyone just mail the details direct to me and i will have a look.