Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help for a beginner?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 18 Aug 2004 22:04

I am trying to find the marriage or birth of my ancestor Elizabeth McDonald - born 1881 ( assumed from death aged 43 in May 1924). She married Alfred Gray sometime between 1901 ( when he was at home with his parents!) and 1916 when her eldest was born?. Help me by telling me how to look please as I have tried obvious places. Many thanks

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Aug 2004 22:05

Where did these events take place? and please say where you have already looked, what is obvious to you may not be so to someone else and vice versa. Nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Aug 2004 22:07

Hi Kathryn and welcome! If you look in the column on the left, down towards the bottom click on 'New to GR', this gives you lots of help and advice. The best places to look for a birth and marriage are on FreeBMD (free!) and 1837online (pay per view). Good luck, Mandy :)

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 18 Aug 2004 22:11

Alfred was born and lived in the Billingham area of Co Durham. Born Greatham and in 1901 living in Billingham aged 13. I don't know anything about Elizabeth or where the marriage might have taken place. Have checked Free BMD. Kathryn

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Aug 2004 22:17

Kathryn You really need the marriage cert which will give Elizabeth's father's name and occupation, so you can work back and find them on the census. You can access the GRO marriage index several ways a) online at 1837online. This can be expensive as you can only search on the first three letters of the surname, and you have 4 quarters to search in each year. b) on microfilm/fiche at public libraries and records offices. This is free, but of course you have to get there. Some places are very busy, so it's a good idea to phone ahead and book a fiche reader. c) at the Family Record Centre in London, in the original big books. Whichever you choose, it may be a trawl as you have over a decade to look through. Personally I would start with the birth of the first child and work backwards. Generally families tended to begin shortly after weddings (if not before!) nell