Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can you help me finding census info?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Aug 2004 11:06

Sorry I knpw this is going to sound like i am stupid but I am quite new to this. I have managed to find the 1901 census online but i am not really sure how to access any earlier ones & also parish records can this be done online or do i need to go to the records office. Has anyone got any other pearls of wisdom regarding tracing your tree. thanks Liz

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Aug 2004 11:15

Hi Liz The 1881 census is online at www(.)familysearch(.)org (remove brackets), which is free to search. Some of the 1871 and 1891 census is on Ancrstry(.)co(.)uk but you have to pay to get full details. However if you put details of names and approx. dates on this board someone will offer to look for you I'm sure. Kath.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Aug 2004 11:18

Liz The 1881 census is online, free of charge at the Church of Latterday Saints (mormons) site which is www.familysearch.*org (remove the *) the 1891 (complete) and 1871 & 1901 (not quite finished yet) censuses arey both available on www.ancestry.*co.*uk (hope these are displaying properly !). You have to pay for access to this site, there's lot of us willing to do searches. 1861, 1851 and 1841 census information for various counties is available to purchase on CD. Best bet would be to purchase a family history magazine from WHSmiths (there's a few good ones), they all have lots of adverts. Your local main libraby should also have lots of Census and Parish record information.

Crista

Crista Report 18 Aug 2004 11:49

Liz, You can access the 1871, 1891 and 1901 with this free trial that runs until Oct. Go to http://trials.gale(.)com/pubacd user name pubacd17 password durable Click on the Biography-genealogy link on the left, then the AncestryPlus link. Crista

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Aug 2004 19:01

Local record offices will have the censuses specific to their area on microfilm. The Family Record Centre in London has all the censuses on microfilm, plus the 1901 on microfiche and online. Since it also has the BMD indexes, it's worth a visit if at all practicable, but plan your day carefully. There are also parts of England which have been transcribed and are available on the internet - Gloucestershire and bits of Warwickshire have been done by Gordon beavington - type his name into a search engine to find more. Some parts of Norfolk also have a name index for various censuses. nell

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 18 Aug 2004 21:57

http://www(.)familyhistoryonline(.)net/ I have found this site invaluable. There is a pay per view charge, but before you pay, you can search, and it gives a list of all available databases. There are some of the earlier census details on here. It is also really cheap. Sarah

Ilene Maltby

Ilene Maltby Report 25 Aug 2004 21:38

Try this site: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/barbgreg/ukcensus.html