Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 16 Aug 2004 20:55

Hi all My husband's 2nd great grandfather was called Thomas Goring. From 1881 onwards, his occupation was entered as a "charter master". Even on 1901 census, he is there as a retired charter master. What is this occupation please? I get the feeling it might be a bit "up market" in it's day as on his son's wedding cert, he is marked as "gentleman" - posh or what!! lol Look forward to your replies Pauline

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 16 Aug 2004 21:07

Pauline - i just did a quick search on Google and altho there are several references, it would appear to be something to do with shipping...........

Leigh

Leigh Report 16 Aug 2004 21:28

Hi Pauline I have found 'Chartmaster', not quite the same I know.... 'Negotiated mining contracts and supplied the labour'. The floods don't look too good do they? Leigh (in Cornwall).

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 16 Aug 2004 21:37

Hi Leigh Whereabouts in Cornwall are you? I'm on Bodmin Moor, about 6 miles out of Bodmin itself. the weather here has been fine for the most part today, but a lady who takes a class I go to had to phone to cancel because of floods. She's more over towards Camelford. Thanks for looking up my occupation as well. Not one I've come across before. Makes a change form all the ag labs that seem to be in my tree :-) - amazing how they change to farmers as well!! Pauline

Leigh

Leigh Report 16 Aug 2004 21:55

I'm in Liskeard! Where it was sunny this afternoon! I'm listening to Radio Cornwall currently, but will go and watch the 10 o'clock news. Small world isn't it!

Ian

Ian Report 17 Aug 2004 11:09

Pauline Tempting as it is to assume a shipping connection, it is unlikely he would be described as a Charter Master if he was indeed a ship's Master (= captain). He would simply be listed as Captain, Master, Mariner, etc. Looking at his domicile in Staffs I would be inclined to go along with Leigh's contract negotiator, expecting to see a seafarer more likely living near a port. I also note his eldest son, William, was listed as a colliery clerk on the 1901 census. Ian