Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Aug 2004 09:26

I have been trying to find, and a few of you might remember this info, but I am still not having any success and I'm now getting depressed. My GG Grandfather Peter McGregor Campbell b 1861 in Kentish Town. On his birth cert it states his father was Peter McGregor (Railway shunter) and mother Georgiana Campbell formally Chantler. Were his parents married? have found no marriage. Thats it have not been able to find further info on Peter McGregor (father) I have found Georgiana in the 1871 census but she had married a John Hall by then. Have asked for an 1861 lookup no success either. It seems I have come to a point of no further going back. Any suggestion greatly appreciated. Many thanks Linda

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2004 13:50

Hi Linda, I had a similar situation with my GG grandmother. She was Mary Doutch Evans. I assumed Evans was her father and Doutch her mother. I was lucky in that she came from Gloucester, where there are census records online. In the 1841 census, there is a household where the head is Harriett Evans, widow, two children (surname Evans) Sarah Elborough sister, and Samuel Doutch lodger! In the 1851 census, there is Mary! Samuel and Harriett lived together for 20 years and never married,and naming the child with the father's name first and mother's name second avoided embarrasment! When Harriett died, Samuel remarried, so it makes me believe religious differences were why harriett and Samuel never married. It looks like your Georgiana was married before, have you looked for the death of her first husband? She probably never married Peter McGregor, and naming the child with both names implies they never intended marrying. Sorry I can't help any more Maggie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Aug 2004 13:51

Have you contacted the relevant record office to ask them to do a look up of the 1861, this may be one time it is worth investing a bit of cash to get you going again. Or ask if anyone is going to the record office. or some libraries hold the 1861 for their areas. Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Aug 2004 15:05

Thanks chaps for your suggestions - will slope down a few more avenues. ttfn Linda

Mary

Mary Report 16 Aug 2004 22:54

Hi Linds, Where have you looked for a marriage? I would suggest that with a name like Campbell, they were married in Scotland somewhere between 1850 and 1860 and travelled south to London to find work. Try the Scotspeople web site. Regards. Mary