Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Look up please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denise

Denise Report 14 Aug 2004 18:56

I am looking for the Graves family. As far as I know they lived in Briercliffe, Lancashire around that time. I never met him as he died when my father was young. I think he had brothers and sisters but I seem to be struggling at the moment. My grandfathers name was James Thanks

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 14 Aug 2004 19:48

Hi, There is a 7 year old James Graves born and living in Briercliffe in the PRO index. He's with a 38 yr old Charles, a 10 yr old William a 35 yr old Jane, a 10yr old Nelly, a 5 yr old Sarah, an 8 yr old Hettie and a 3 yr old Ada. No session running to download the image for you, sorry, Gwynne

Irene

Irene Report 14 Aug 2004 20:04

Denise The only way to be sure you have the right grandfather is to find his birth certificate, if you say you father was young, do you know how young, under 10 or over, also do you know where he may have been living at the time. It all helps to get a clear picture. Are your parent still around to ask, sadly our aren't but we do have an Uncle Ted who often tells us storys, different ones every time. From this we have been able to piece together the family. Even if you haven't you should be able to find your grandfathers death. 1st step though is to get your fathers birth certificate, then you will have both parents, try and find out when your grandparents married. Even better if you have your grandmothers full name. If you get the marriage certificate then this will give you both fathers full names and occupation at the time of marriage. It will give both your grandparents age (hopefully not of full age which would be over 21). From this you will be able to match in the 1901 census your grandfather. Sorry there is no way to prove your grandparent on line as there is nothing that will give this information. Good Luck Irene