Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ARMY/NAVY RECORDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 13 Aug 2004 23:17

Hi, please excuse my ignorance, but I am trying to track down someone who is allegedly my father, unbeknowing to him. I am limited on information only that I know his name and where he was based in 1966. Can anyone tell me whether there is access to army/naval records listing their names during the 60s? Donna

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Aug 2004 23:29

Donna There is a time limit on access to army/navy records - which I think is currently 75 years - so you would be unable to access anything after 1929 unless you are able to prove you are this persons next of kin - and only then if he has passd away. If he has passed away whilst still married or has children older than yourself you would not be his next of kin and would need to get their permission to view his records. If you think he is still alive I would suggest you try searching the electoral register or contacting someone like Joan at www.myfolks(.)com who are experienced in this sort of search and are probably better equippped to help you Zoe

Donna

Donna Report 13 Aug 2004 23:52

Hi Zoe, Many thanks for your information on both notice boards. It's really helping me. I'm going to contact Joan. Thank you. Donna

Donna

Donna Report 15 Aug 2004 13:04

To Zoe o'er the Border Re: The hunt for my father Barry Parnaby Just to let you know my mother believes that I was conceived whilst she was working in Germany on the base RAF Brugen and he was a member of the RAF!! Will I ever get there?!! Donna

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Aug 2004 15:32

As for Army/Navy, you still wont be ab;e to access his records I'm afraid. Ann Glos