Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

need help dont no where to start looking

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 13 Aug 2004 12:20

I dont no to much about my famliy other than my pearent where do i start to look first.

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Aug 2004 12:27

Go on Resource Centre on the left of the screen and then click getting started. Lots of info to get you on your way.

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Aug 2004 12:51

Basically you have to work backwards: yourself; your parents; their parents (your grandparents); their parents (your great grandparents) and so on. Don't skip a stage and verify everything with certificates and/or parish records.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 13 Aug 2004 14:57

Christine - if you have no other info, best way to work backwards, is verify your parents births including the page and volume the births are registered on - Ancestry(.)co(.)uk and FreeBMD(.)com (remember to remove the brackets) are good sites to search these on. If you dont have them, get copies of their birth certificates using the info you get from the sites above - these will confirm the names of your grandparents and where they lived - that should start the ball rolling as you can then search for other siblings of your parents and grandparents, using sites that hold census info and will confirm members of households - there are several sites for these, some are free some charge - try; Familysearch(.)org which is the Latter Day Saints site Familyhistoryonline(.)net 1901census(.)nationalarchives(.)gov(.)uk As the guys have suggested - work backwards, it is just a process of elimination - be sure to keep precise notes of the info you find and where you get it from - and be sure to note page and volume numbers of events when you have verified them, so you can order certificates........... If you get stuck just read all the messages on here - you always learn something new. Check out all the sites you see people recommeding and you will become more familiar with where to go to find certain info. Good luck :)