Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FreeBMD advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 11 Aug 2004 16:57

I have just saved to floppy disc some deaths that I found on FreeBMD. Could anyone tell me what format they are in. I saved them this way because there was not many of them but when I tried to open them in Microsoft Word, it was unreadable. I have looked through all their FAQs and got nowhere and there does not appear to be an e mail address where I can ask them. Any help would be appreciated. Mary

Mary

Mary Report 11 Aug 2004 16:59

Mary, I had the same problem and it was a long list I found. I ended up copying them. I couldnt save them to word. Mary. (maybe its a Mary thing)

Mary

Mary Report 11 Aug 2004 17:03

Thanks Mary. Glad I am not the only one. No it's not a Mary thing, it's an age thing with me. Regards. Mary

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 11 Aug 2004 17:08

sorry to state the obvious but you did mean FreeBMD did you and not 1837? If they're pages from 1837 you'll need DjVu which is a free download from 1837 :) Sioux

Mary

Mary Report 11 Aug 2004 19:39

Hi there, Yes I did mean FreeBMD. Mary

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Aug 2004 20:26

You can save them to Wordpad.

Mary

Mary Report 11 Aug 2004 20:42

Thanks Geoff, I have already tried that, it will open up in Wordpad but it is still unreadable. It did not say what format I was saving it in so I presumed that it was plain text but it was far from plain. I thought it might have been gedcom but it does not look like that. I was wondering if it was ASCII. It has been years since I downloaded anything in that format and I have forgotten what I did. It may be in something that I have never heard of. Thanks anyway for your help. Mary

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Aug 2004 20:59

I just copy from FreeBMD and paste into Wordpad.

Mary

Mary Report 11 Aug 2004 21:13

Thanks Geoff, Have I got this right? You don't actually save anything to disc you just copy the web site page and then paste it in wordpad. Well I will give it a try. Thanks very much. Mary

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Aug 2004 21:21

Mary Just highlight the actual text you want and copy and paste it, rather than the whole page. Lynne

Mary

Mary Report 11 Aug 2004 21:31

Thanks Lynn, It seems I always like doing things the hard way. Regards, Mary

Crista

Crista Report 11 Aug 2004 21:42

The files are being saved as .ss spreadsheet files and I think Microsoft Works is needed to open these. I'm sure they used to be saved in another format that could be easily read. Crista

Mary

Mary Report 11 Aug 2004 21:55

Thanks Crista, Yes it has got ss next to the file number and I must admit I have never seen this before. Never thought of it as meaning spread sheet. I will try it in Microsoft excel which I think is a spread sheet. I am not going to give up on this one, I will try it in everything I have got. Thank you very much for your help. Mary.