Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rochester churches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 11 Aug 2004 12:20

Is there a church in Rochester which might have been the usual place for naval baptisms around 1868?

Belle56

Belle56 Report 11 Aug 2004 14:46

Hi Helen, my ggggrandfather was in the Navy, and one of his daughter's was baptised in St. Mary's in Chatham. Hope this is of some help. Belle.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 11 Aug 2004 14:51

The Cathedral in Rochester has lots of plaques etc to do with the navy they may be able to help. Worth giving them a ring. Cathedral Office (01634) 843366 Garth Ho Medway ME1 1SZ Lynda

Chris in London

Chris in London Report 11 Aug 2004 15:06

I believe St Marys in chatham is close to the dockyard gates - it may be the one. Consider Gillingham as well as a lot of navy families lived there too. I believe there is a Record centre at Strood - it is worth asking them - I am afraid I do not have a contact email but try on the Kent County Council Wev site - or contact Kent Family History Society.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 12 Aug 2004 09:48

Thank-you to everyone - the parish registers of St Mary's are actually on-line so I'll plough through them (again) first!

J

J Report 12 Aug 2004 12:39

What is the St Mary Church, Chatham site? I have a family member who came from Chatham approx 1816 and have to visit the Medway Archive Office. They have a leaflet A genealogist's guide to sources for tracing members of the armed forces in the Medway area 1550-1950 - cost £2.50 plus postage etc. the cityarc.medway.gov.uk is the v good online site. Jill

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 12 Aug 2004 15:20

Jill, it's the Cityark site. Look down the left hand side and click on Imagebase - this gives you loads of churches and archives to choose from so scroll down until you find the ones for St. Mary's. They are scans from the registers and take a long time to download. Good luck!