Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Harrow, Middlesex

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 9 Aug 2004 17:58

My family come from Harrow Weald and Harrow as far back as I can find, 1739 for one branch of the family and 1669 for another. I've done lots of research into the parish records of St Mary's Harrow on the hill but feel that I'm the only one! Does anyone know if there is a local history Society that takes any interest in that part of Middlesex? London and North Middlesex exclude the area, West Middlesex tell me it used to be part of Hertfordshire but God knows when! Beyond the pale I am!

Andy

Andy Report 9 Aug 2004 18:50

So thats it then!

Janet

Janet Report 9 Aug 2004 19:48

There is a very good library at the Civic Centre Harrow for the study of Harrow and other parts of Middx around Harrow. There is also the London Westminster and Middx Family History Society to which you can subcribe and find out more Cost is about £10 a year. To join write to Membership Secretary 1d Uplands Park Rd. Enfield Middx E Mail William Pyemont for more info: william(.)pyemont ( @) virgin(.)net website: www(.)lnmfhs(.)dircon(.)co(.)uk Remove brackets Meetings are held at both Wembley and Pinner(Harrow) The Society used to be the Westminster and Central Middx FHS with the magazine Greentrees but about 2 years ago amalgamated with London and North Middx FHS and now known as London Westminster and Middlesex FHS with the magazine Metropolitan. Not sure who told you that Harrow is no longer on their lists but I can assure you that the meetings at Rayners Lane (Pinner Harrow) for this Society has mainly Harrow People that keep the Harrow part very much alive. There are also meetings at New Barnet Hertfordshire, City of London and Enfield. Sadly the amalgamation took place as few people were prepared to volunteer to keep the London and north Middx FHS afloat. Hope this explains why you have had problems connecting with it. Janet

Andy

Andy Report 9 Aug 2004 20:11

Hi Janet, I looked at the LHMNFS web site, and as I thought the area they cover has this huge exclusion zone around Harrow! Apparently for them Middlesex stops at Edgware and goes no further to the west! I have been to the Civic Centre at Wealdstone, ironically it stands on the site of the place where I spent my earliest years, Poets Corner! Although I was born in Hampstead in a military hospital because my mother was in the RAF my paternal grandparents lived in Milton Road, Poets Corner. My dad's folk come from Harrow Weald just up the road. Are you from the area?

Janet

Janet Report 9 Aug 2004 20:16

Andy I go to the Pinner meetings in Rayners Lane and all those that come are from Harrow, doing a lot of work for the Harrow area. Give it a try for a year and I can tell you who the Harrow people are once you have joined. Kay Payne is very helpful and so is Bill Pyemont. Used to work near the Civic Centre l but do not come from there sadly as there is a lot of info in the area. Janet

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 9 Aug 2004 20:53

Hi Andrew I, too, have ancestors from Harrow. My gggg grandfather Joseph Corby was born in Harrow about 1790, but I've found on the internet that there might not be records for this time. Do you know if there definitely is??? I would really like your advice. Chloe

Andy

Andy Report 10 Aug 2004 20:03

Chloe, If you go to the London metropolitan archives they have microfilm of the parish records for St Mary's Harrow on the Hill going back to 1560 whatever. Likewise all the local churches have their parish records on microfilm at the LMA. In the archive rooms there are also physical records of the local workhouse and many other sources. I think it may be more difficult if you can't visit London and go to the LMA. Perhaps some of those records will be available in other places. I know if you want to purchase a microfilm they are available for about £60 each, of course you would need to purchase a microfilm viewer as well. Good luck, Andy

Andy

Andy Report 10 Aug 2004 21:00

Janet, I may consider that, where and when do they meet? Can you just turn up and see how things go? I know Rayners Lane, when I was a kid in the 50's we would walk there from Pinner where Harrow Council moved us to and do a round via North Harrow and home again. Not far now but a long way when you were 8! Andy

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Aug 2004 22:31

I used to live in Eastcote and then in Northwood. Husband and I saw many films at that lovely art deco cinema in Rayners Lane.

Janet

Janet Report 11 Aug 2004 09:34

Andy They meet 2nd Friday every month. No meetings in August so the next one is Friday 10 september and Ann Simmons is giving a talk on "FunnyBlood" tracing an Inherited Disease. On 8th October Alan Ruston is talking about "The Gentlemans Magazine Treasure House of Sources". This last year we have had talks on "The English Civil War "Dickens London" "Film Archives For the Family" "Manorial Worth" amongst others. They have a library where you can borrow magazines from other societies and books are available. Everybody there is very helpful. Hope you decide to give it a go. Yes you can come as a visitor. Janet