Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baffled

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 9 Aug 2004 13:15

I have an Abraham Baxter with wife Emma and children Adelaide 14, Florence 13, John Clayton 11 and Bertha 5, Living in Oldham in 1881, all children recorded as being born in Oldham. They were also there in 1871. But according to the IGI the children were baptised in St Mary the Virgin, in West Derby! Am positive Ive got the right family as I doubt there'd be two John Clayton Baxters born to an Emma & Abraham. Am confused as to why this is. I can only think that may be they had a house in Oldham and one in West Derby or that each time she had a baby she went to stay in West Derby. Im mystified George

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 9 Aug 2004 13:23

Hi George Do you know where Abraham and Emma came from or where there parents were on the Censuses? Perhaps it's as you say that Emma went away, maybe to stay with her parents, each time she had a child. Jeanette

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 9 Aug 2004 13:26

Just had another thought George. The odd one of my ancestors has had their children baptised in the parish that they were baptised in. So were Abraham or Emma baptised in Derby? Jeanette

George

George Report 9 Aug 2004 13:29

All I know is Emma was born in Leeds in 1843, Abraham came from Radcliffe. He was Tobacconist/Cigar Agent. I have'nt found either of them in 1861 yet and know that by 1891 Emma was dead and by 1901 Abraham was dead, both died in Oldham. Abrahams dad Aaron died in 1871 in Blackpool, no idea about his mum yet. The Baxters keep driving me nuts cos they go in for dying youngish and moving around a lot so keep me on my toes grrrrr

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 9 Aug 2004 13:33

Hi George You do know that West Derby is in Lancashire and not in Derbyshire, don't you? I think it is somewhere between Manchester and Liverpool. So maybe one of them had family in that area and had strong connections with the church there. Tina

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 9 Aug 2004 13:35

Good thinking Pauline. It would also give Emma maiden name

George

George Report 9 Aug 2004 14:31

The birth for the last child Bertha was registered in Oldham according to the FreeBMD images. Im still hunting for the others George

Tracey

Tracey Report 9 Aug 2004 15:38

George, I think i can shed a little light on this for you!! On VRI there is Florence Baxter, christened 25/12/1867 at St Mary the Virgin, West Derby, Lancs. Father Abraham, mother Emma Elizabeth. John Clayton Baxter, christened 26/12/1869, St Mary the Virgin, West Derby, Lancs. Father Abraham, mother Emma Elizabeth. Then there is this one which i think could be a transcription error: Adelaide Louisa BAGSTER, christened 23/9/1866 at St Mary the Virgin, West Derby, Lancs. Father Abraham, mother Emma. No Bertha there though. Then on the Marriages: Abraham Baxter to Emma Elizabeth Clayton, 18/7/1865 at St Mary The Virgin, West Derby, Lancs. Husbands father was Aaron Baxter, wifes father was John Clayton. Hope this helps a little Tracey x

George

George Report 9 Aug 2004 16:04

That confirms that they are one & the same, thanks Tracy,

George

George Report 9 Aug 2004 16:28

Thanks Judith, already have the 1871 info where hes down as Abraham Batter! born Radcliffe,