Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Related or not, how do I decide?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trish

Trish Report 9 Aug 2004 08:37

I would appreciate any advice on the following........

Shan

Shan Report 9 Aug 2004 08:55

Hi Trish, are we going to get the following Shan

Trish

Trish Report 9 Aug 2004 08:55

Eliza Barrett christened 13/10/1822 St James, Poole, Dorset. Daughter of William & Sarah Barrett. Eliza married Joseph Royall 20/06/1842 St James, Poole, Dorset. Searching the VRI I found: Eliza Mary Royall christened 20/04/1843 Poole George West Royall christened 26/08/1846 Poole Both born to Joseph & Eliza Royall 1841 Census Eliza Barrett age 18 living with parents Poole, Dorset 1851 census Z/11/131/LANDPORT ST/15/ (Hampshire) J//BARRATT /HEAD/ MAR/ 35// SHIP WRIGHT/ DOR/ POOLE/ J/ELIZABETH/ BARRATT/ D/D //7/ SCHOLAR/ HAM/PORTSEA/ J/GEORGE/ BARRATT /SON/ /2/// HAM/PORTSEA/ J/ELIZA /RORFALL? / VISITOR / U / / 26 //POOLE/DOR/ J/JOSEPH /RORFALL? / VISITOR/ /1 // / POOLE/ DOR/ I know Eliza & Joseph had a son Joseph Royall and that he was born in 1850 Poole, Dorset. But this census transcription shows Eliza as Unmarried and only having one child. What happened to Eliza Mary & George? Do you think this is the correct Eliza Royall on the 1851 census? She should have been age 29 in 1851. I have searched online for death records for Eliza Mary & George West Royall but can't find any. Also I can't find George on any other census so wonder if in fact they both did die. I think George West Royall was born to the Eliza I am researching as her sisters married name was West and it was a family tradition, using another family members surname as a middle name for a child. I haven't been able to fit the Barrett familyEliza was staying with into my research as yet. I have lots of records for her family and he is not a brother. Not having a first name for him doesn't help! So do you think I have found the correct Eliza Royall on the 1851 census? Thanks Trish

Sharon

Sharon Report 9 Aug 2004 09:26

Hi Trish I think the entry you have found on the 1851 census is too much of a coincidence not to be the right Eliza. I looked on the freebmd website and there is a death registration for Eliza Mary Royall in the June quarter of 1843 registered in Poole. Do you know when her husband Joseph died? As she is listed as a visitor in 1851 maybe son George was at home with husband Joseph. Census's are very often wrong just because it lists her as unmarried doesnt mean she was, it could be a mistake by the enumerator. Also a lot of people were not accurate with ages either and a lot of my ancestors ages vary by a few years either way on each census i find them on, but know it is them as they have a quite unusual name. I think i have found your Eliza Royall on the 1871 census living in Deptford, is this right? She is listed with son Joseph age 21 son Walter age 15 and son William age 7 and her father William age 80. Regards Sharon

Trish

Trish Report 9 Aug 2004 10:28

Thanks Sharon. I don't know how I missed finding the death date for Eliza Mary Royall, thanks for finding it for me. I have never found Eliza's husband Joseph Royall on a census. In fact we only know his name because of the marriage certificate. When searching the 1851 census I noticed a couple of Eliza's brothers are not recorded at home with their wifes. The main profession of the family and in laws was shipwright so perhaps they were recorded at their place of work. Yes that is Eliza as a widow on the 1871 census living in Deptford. She remarried in 1872 and became Eliza Blair. the man who became her husband was the lodger on the 1871 census. Well I think I will claim the 1851 census entry as my Eliza then! Thanks once again. Trish

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 9 Aug 2004 14:25

I have a family history for Barretts of Portsea & Poole. This family were neighbours of my Hawkins ancestors in Portsea. I'll dig it out and get back to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 9 Aug 2004 22:23

You have definitely got the right family. William, born 1815, Poole. His wife Matilda had died in Feb 1851. I have a family history drawn up by Jack Barrett - who did not know what had happened to Eliza - in 1986. It is quite long - about 20 pages. Would you like a copy? Jack's grandfather was born in 1845, lived to a great age and the history is full of personal reminiscences. I don't have a scanner, but can send a copy snailmail.

Trish

Trish Report 10 Aug 2004 03:07

Hi Brenda This is brilliant news! Thank you so much. I will email my address to you. This is the best website ever for finding such helpful people. Thank you all very, very much. Trish

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Aug 2004 07:49

Trish Many shipwrights went to sea as ships carpenters, which could account for your 'loss'. Ray

Trish

Trish Report 10 Aug 2004 10:21

Hi Ray Thanks for that information, that would explain where they were at the time of the census. Did they do census returns on ships do you know? Thanks again. Trish