Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help... How do I do this

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 8 Aug 2004 18:48

I have started trying to find out more about my family. I have very little info and cannot find any records of grandparents on my fathers side. Are there any non charging sites i could use.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 8 Aug 2004 18:57

Try FreeBMD(.)com...free searches fro Birth's etc - you can also view images if you know what year to look at. Also on censusuk(.)co(.)uk you can request free look ups or pay a one-off £10 fee for unlimited searches - useful if you are not sure which year to be looking for - you send the name and you get back a list of all people under that surname and the year of the event you ask about. (hope that makes sense - if you give it a try you'll see)

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 8 Aug 2004 19:38

Cheers Anne, big help :)

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 8 Aug 2004 21:54

If you can get to your nearest big library, they may have the whole GRO index (births, marriages and deaths) on microfiche that you can search through. Maggy

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Aug 2004 22:09

Once you get to a pre-civil registration time ie before 01 July 1837, you can get a lot of parish register info from www.familysearch.org This website also has the 1881 census free to search. Have a look at the "Getting Started" section of this board - to locate, scroll down the lefthand menu past the ad, to Features and click on Resource Centre. LN

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 8 Aug 2004 22:44

cheers maggy and Helen, will look at those :)