Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

2nd opinion please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 6 Aug 2004 20:33

see below

Zoe

Zoe Report 6 Aug 2004 20:37

this man on the 1871/81 is mine: Charles Gloster 50 Birmingham(crossed out) Yorkshire, England Head St Giles in the Fields London 1. Charles GLOSTER - 1881 British Census / Middlesex Head   Gender: Male   Birth: <1820> Birmingham, Warwick, England Matches: Census/1881 British Census - 1 whats the likelihood that this is his birth, bearing in mind he doesnt seem aware of where he's born at all: International Genealogical Index - British Isles 2. CHARLES GLOSTER - International Genealogical Index / BI Gender: Male Christening: 21 MAY 1820 Saint Marys, Handsworth, Stafford, England clutching at straws I know...........

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Aug 2004 21:29

Good question Zoe! lol. They do like to make it difficult for us don't they. Have you asked for a BVRI look up? Or can anybody have a look at the parish registers for you? Jeanette

Zoe

Zoe Report 6 Aug 2004 21:35

Jeanette Stuck with the parish registers as I don't actually know who his parents are until I can find his marriage and he's so vague about birth I'm having a BVRI and burial look up at the minute - so fingers crossed it'll help Zoe

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Aug 2004 21:45

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Zoe. Good Luck! Jeanette x

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 6 Aug 2004 22:57

Hi Zoe There is an Handsworth on the edge of Birmingham, but there is also an area on the outskirts of Sheffield called Handsworth. The Sheffield Handsworth is in Yorkshire. The Birmingham Handsworth is now of course West Midlands, but back then it might well have been Staffordshire as it is on the Staffordshire side of Birmingham. Do you think that the enumerator might have only known about the Sheffield Handsworth and taken it into his head to change the entry to Yorkshire, thinking he was being clever? I think that birth might well be your chap. Tina

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 6 Aug 2004 23:00

He could have been born in Birmingham but just had his Christening in Staffordshire. Just a thought.

Zoe

Zoe Report 7 Aug 2004 12:46

Thanks everyone at least I'm a bit more confident now not to completely write him off but look into it a bit more also now slightly overwhelmed since discovereing several other Gloster people in various census that all worked in the silver trade. Now it's not THAT common a name so should I spend time trying to trace them all back in hope eventually they'll meet my line

Tracey

Tracey Report 7 Aug 2004 14:38

Hi Zoe, I had a look on BVRI2 and there is nothing for Charles Gloster - sorry. Tracey

Zoe

Zoe Report 7 Aug 2004 15:26

Thanks for trying Tracey