Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cultler

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 6 Aug 2004 08:29

can anyone tell me what a cutler is? also a journeyman , master cabinet maker. anne.

Crista

Crista Report 6 Aug 2004 08:36

Anne, http://www.cpcug.org/user/jlacombe/terms.html Crista

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 6 Aug 2004 08:37

Morning A CUTLER covers a fair few job's: Surgical Toolmaker Toolmaker Metal Grinder Worker with steel Worker of knives A journeyman is a person who travels around with their job. Much happiness Debi

Anne

Anne Report 6 Aug 2004 08:39

many thanks to you for reply anne

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 6 Aug 2004 11:21

Hi Anne A journeyman is someone who has served his apprenticeship and is now a skilled worker, but who does not have his own business, so he works for other people but is not tied to them like an apprentice would be. A cutler usually works with knives, sharpening or finishing them. Where did your cutler come from? If it is around the Sheffield area in the 1800s or early 1900s, then he would quite definately be making knives. So a master cutler would have his own firm, but a journeyman cutler would be a skilled man (and it was a very skilled job) working for someone else. Can you tell I grew up in Sheffield! Tina

Kay

Kay Report 6 Aug 2004 13:18

Try this site it's quite interesting www.gendocs(.)demon(.)co(.)uk/trades.html Kay

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Aug 2004 14:50

The words Cutler, cutlery and cutlass all derive from the Latin word culter, meaning knife.

Anne

Anne Report 7 Aug 2004 11:28

HI THERE, THE CUTLER I AM LOOKING FOR IS A HENRY BOSWELL 67 FROM YORK, THIS WAS STATED ON THE 1881 CENSUS, JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT PROFESSION IT WAS. THE JOURNEYMAN WAS MY GRANDFATHERS PROFESSION WHO WAS A CABINET MAKER.