Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have you tried "Google Alert"?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alice

Alice Report 5 Aug 2004 13:37

An automatic daily search with results sent to you by email. You can set it up for 5 of your surnames. www(.)googlealert(.)com Click on "Create Alerts". Then choose "For trial users" (I have been using it for over a year!) The other choices are costly. Just a suggestion:- Against "All" I enter the surname I`m looking for. Against "At least" I enter the words "family tree". surname, genealogy. If for example your surname is "Wight" then be sure to put "Isle of Wight" against "None of these"!!! etc. etc. You can edit your settings any time, and this is useful once you know what other "None of These" you need to enter. It`s not as complicated as I`ve made it sound!! Alice Hill

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 10 Aug 2004 11:21

Thanks Alice Worth a try, though I got 140 hits before I sorted out my "none of these" options :-0 (84Kbs!!) I'll try anything really, I'm getting desperate Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Aug 2004 12:19

Thanks Alice. I have just logged on to Google but the wording is a bit defferent here in Australia. They just give you 3 rows for names. I will give it a trial. Getting a bit desperate as I cant seem to find anything that dosent cost money. When you dont have much info it would take hours to look through things, or you have to do the search in person. Mary in Sydney

Dawn

Dawn Report 10 Aug 2004 15:05

A bit scary when you are told 87 messages have been mailed to you!!!!! so far only 1 has arrived, I'll keep you posted!!!

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 11 Aug 2004 08:56

Hi Mary I'm in New Zealand and also only got the 3 name spaces, but it's enough to give the site a bit of a trial run I still have to work out how to get rid of all the American hits, which are no use to me at all, but otherwise seems good, and has come up with some things I hadn't come across before Sylvia