Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family search question please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 4 Aug 2004 23:06

When I am looking for a married female on family search and I know that her husband has died, I am not sure what to pull down on the events list as I want to look for her on the 1881, now if I put her maiden name down that is wrong, as she is married if I put her married name down then, I can't put her birth date in so what do I do? Sue....................please

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2004 23:09

Sue Yes, you CAN put her married name and her birth date down. She appears on the census with her current name and her age at the time of the census, from which it will calculate her date of birth. What you CAN'T do is type in a woman's married name and retrieve her birth/christening record because they would be in her maiden name. Helen

Sidami

Sidami Report 4 Aug 2004 23:15

Hi Helen, So what you are saying is that you type her married name in and put the year she was born and it works it out?So what do I click on to on the drop down menu? I will have a go

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2004 23:33

Sue Choose British 1881 census Type in lady's name as it would be in 1881 Choose birth/christening in drop down menu Type in the date press search and with any luck she will be found. If she isn't , repeat the process giving 2 years' leeway on birth date. Happy hunting Helen

Sidami

Sidami Report 4 Aug 2004 23:37

Thanks Helen, pleased I am not the only one up finding rellies. Sue

Sidami

Sidami Report 5 Aug 2004 18:32

Hello Kathleen, The web site is www(.)familysearch(.)org/ Hope this helps