Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do i go now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 4 Aug 2004 21:29

Hi On marriage cert of my Gr Gr grandfather details are Date of marriage June 16th 1879 Thomas George Dearson-age 23 Occ. collier. Residence-Cwmpark Fathers name Albert George Dearson occ- Captain of a vessel. Thought it would be easy to find Thomas George Dearson's birth date. (on 1881 census age 25-birthplace-Talgarth-Brecon, on 1901 census age 45-birthplace-Stratford-Essex!!!) Anyway-i have approx age for birth as 1856, so armed with this i trawl through 1837 online for years 1854-1858 and find nothing for him. Decide to try and find marriage for his father Albert George Dearson instead (presuming his parents were married when he was born) and guess what NOTHING. Where do i go from here. (wish this hobby wasn't so addictive, no housework being done till i find this missing relative) hope somebody can give me a few suggestions Jackie

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2004 21:35

Jackie This is the birth for the one born in Stratford? DEARSON, George William Record Type: Births Quarter: September Year: 1861 District: West Ham County: Essex Greater London

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 4 Aug 2004 21:40

Hi Helen Looking for Thomas George Dearson not George William. Marriage certificate gives his age in 1879 as 23. Therefore he must have been born approx 1856. Jackie

JillGr

JillGr Report 4 Aug 2004 22:11

Just a thought - could he have been born at sea? Those births are in a different set of records. Jill

Crista

Crista Report 4 Aug 2004 22:25

Jackie, My guess is that he was probably born in Stratford most of the other Dearsons on the 1881 census are from there. Did you save the 1837 records you searched? Those handwritten records from 1855 and 1856 are really hard to read. Have another look through them and see if you can spot any births in W Ham. Failing that, ask for a 1861 Essex lookup to get the rest of his family. Crista

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 4 Aug 2004 22:27

Hi Jill He could have been. Never thought of that. Can't find any record of this family on census either, until Thomas George on 1881 census So they could have been at sea. Jackie

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2004 23:23

Sorry Jackie Misread your posting. Helen