Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Other Hobby and the Genealogy link.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 4 Aug 2004 10:51

I consider Genealogy as my bad weather hobby because my good weather one is cricket. And to go with cricket the Wisden Almanacks. Anyway I have just noticed that in my collection of the Almanacks is a chapter in each book called the Birth and Deaths of cricketers, now I know that this is by no means complete for every proffessional and amature cricketer but there are the best part of 1000 names listed. The earliest that I can find so far is a birth in 1877 though I haven't looked in some of my older books yet. If you think that you have an ancestor that played cricket in the 19th and 20th century let me know and I will have a look, and also the offer extends for those GOONS (Guild Of One Name Studies) people.

Brenda

Brenda Report 4 Aug 2004 10:54

i have no idea if i have any cricketing relatives but if you wouldnt mind having a look anyway. my family name is ORAM i have got family research block at the moment it might make a welcome diversion! brenda x

Kevin

Kevin Report 4 Aug 2004 11:00

Hi Brenda - ORAM, Jacob David Phillip. Born New Zealand 29/07/1978. 7 Test matches and 49 One Day Internationals.

Brenda

Brenda Report 4 Aug 2004 11:05

thankyou wonder if im related (not even going to go there) i have burnt myself out for now. need inspiration to get me going again. brenda x

Kevin

Kevin Report 4 Aug 2004 11:09

Brenda have another for you. KENYON, Donald. Born 15/05/1924. Died 12/11/1996. Played for England in 8 Test Matches between 1951 -1955. Also played for Worcestershire

Eddie

Eddie Report 4 Aug 2004 12:03

Hi Kevin, thanks for the offer. I remember when I was a young fellow my grand parents telling me that we had a family member who played cricket for Yorkshire, his surname could have been March? thanks Pete

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 4 Aug 2004 13:10

Hello Kevin I'd be interested in the name GLAZE - thank you Much happiness Debi

Kevin

Kevin Report 4 Aug 2004 13:55

HOLLIES, William Eric. b 05/06/1912 - d 16/04/1981. 13 Tests for England 1934-1950. No Waltons. No March Nop Champion No Glaze Bare in mind I am using recent Almanacks. I have done some research today and it seems that the Pre 1930 books have a more complete list of earlier cricketers. However these books are worth a small fortune.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 4 Aug 2004 15:37

Kevin Thank you for the look up - it was just a whim as you never know lol Much happiness Debi