Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just wondering about names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 3 Aug 2004 17:34

Does anyone know when it was common for Robert to be called Bob, Richard-Rick, James-Jim? I was just wondering when people started shortening those types of names. Thank you, Lisa.

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2004 17:47

Good question. Bob was certainly in use in victorian times. James was often Jamie, or Jem or Jas.

Daniel

Daniel Report 3 Aug 2004 17:49

Do you know if they used Jim in that time?

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 3 Aug 2004 17:53

Hi Helen. I didn't realize shortening names started that early. I know variations of Elizabeth were common, but didn't realize Bob had been around that long. Thank you. :~) PS I was wondering about Jim, too, as my brickwall ancestor was a James. I know one record shows him as Jas, but I thought they just didn't want to spell the entire name. I'm off to feed a friend's kitty's.

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2004 17:58

Jim was definitely in use in mid Victorian period at least - my gran's great uncle James was known as Jim:) David

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2004 18:00

Daniel I'm sure you will have read Treasure Island with Jim Hawkins in it. That was published 1883. I believe that ever since people have had names people have shortened them or made pet versions of them. Helen

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 Aug 2004 18:04

Just checked ancestry. There are 208 Jim's on the 1871 census so far. To give you an idea there are 440,850 James/Jas(160 of them are just transcribed as James/Jas or have incomplete surnames.) So the answer is they were in existence but not as popular as nowadays.

Elwyn

Elwyn Report 3 Aug 2004 18:19

Richard Whittington was a very famous Lord Mayor of London, about whom there are many legends. He was normally known as Dick Whittington. He died in 1423, so the name Dick's been around for a few years now. Elwyn

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 4 Aug 2004 08:35

Thank you all for your replies. Most of my ancestors had names like John and George, but there were a few James and William's and I was just curious about how they may have been addressed. Thank you!

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2004 10:23

Bob Cratchit made his appearance in A Christmas Carol in 1843. Helen

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 4 Aug 2004 13:33

Beat me to it Helen! and thinking about it, it must have been established for Dickens to use it. And of course the police was created in 1829 by Robert Peel giving them the name "Bobbies" Bob (Robert)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 4 Aug 2004 15:14

When wondering about names, I'm so wrapped up in genealogy that I never thought of characters in a book (or professions). Thanks again. :~) Thanks for your help, too Linda. Will be interesting to see if I ever find a Will or Bob.