Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certificate for War Dead?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie

Maggie Report 30 Jul 2004 14:57

I think I have found the death of my Grandads brother Albert Dipple who was killed in action 10/5/1915. Did they issue death certificates, I have looked on 1837 but cannot find him?Maggie

Sue

Sue Report 30 Jul 2004 16:25

Hello Maggie You can print a nice memorial certificate for your ancestor from www.CWGC.org Just went in and had a look and he's mentioned there, including details of the cemetery where his memorial is. Can't help re an official death cert, but certainly the CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) is worth keeping. I have two of my ancestors remembered this way. I doubt you'll have problems accessing the site but if you do, please contact me at sue.win<@>bigpond.com Remove the < > before sending mail. Regards Sue in Western Australia.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jul 2004 19:00

Hi Maggie and Sue I've had a look at the site just out of interest. I haven't got anyone in my tree that I know of who died in the war but it looks like a great site. Even tells you about the cemeteries. I'll have to remember it for future reference. Thanks for that Sue. Kath

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 30 Jul 2004 19:11

Hi Maggie Yes, you should be able to get a death certificate from the General Register Office. Unfortunately, you won't find the GRO reference number on 1837 Online as war deaths are not recorded in the main registers. Make sure that you give all the information you have when ordering i.e. name, rank, number, regiment date and place of death. David

Shan

Shan Report 30 Jul 2004 19:49

Hi Sue, What a wonderful site, thankyou for sharing it with us, ive been researching for year's and already found two of my ancestor's that ive been told about but had no detail's. What a star, again many thank's Shan

Maggie

Maggie Report 30 Jul 2004 22:58

Hi Sue, Yes I have now printed off a memorial certificate for my file, I was'nt sure it was my Albert Dipple until Ian found him on another site which gave where he was born which matched with my Albert Dipple. Hi David, Thanks for the info, will try and get a certificate. Maggie

Maud

Maud Report 31 Jul 2004 16:56

Yes you can obtain a death certificate, I have one for my late brother, he was killed in action WW2 Royal Navy. I knew the date of his death , just supplied his full name DOB etc, no problem