Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any tips for finding elusive GT. Grandfathers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gloria

Gloria Report 29 Jul 2004 17:18

I hope some can help, I'm looking for:- Robert Southwell,b. 1859 in Gt. Yarmouth, Norfolk. Someone located him on the 1861 census, but then there is no more for him until 1889 when he married. He is on 1891 and 1901 census. Also looking for John Worthington, b. 1854 in Bucks. I have his birth cert., but cannot find him anywhere untill 1901 census. I have looked on various sites, but no luck.

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jul 2004 17:34

What was their occupation and where were they in the censuses where you have found them?

William

William Report 29 Jul 2004 18:25

As John Worthington married a German Woman,would it be to fanciful to suggest he spent some time in Germany? Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 29 Jul 2004 18:32

My grandfather (b.1886) was with his widowed and re-married mother on 1901 with the mothers surname instead of his own.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jul 2004 19:24

On my grandmother's birth certificate, her father's name (b1884) was given as Sidney Gilford Johnson. On his marriage certificate, it was Sidney Giffard Johnson. I couldn't find him on the 1891 census, neither could I find his death. he was, however on the1901 census. The puzzle was compounded by my g Grandmother calling herself Annie. I eventually found them, her name was Mary Annie, his name wasn't Sidney, it was Gilford. Sidney sems to be the name he used throughout his adult life. His brother also seems to have hated his name. he was christened Ivor but used the name Frederick as an adult.!

Gloria

Gloria Report 30 Jul 2004 10:16

Thanks to all of you above for your replies. Both Robert Southwell and John Worthington's occupation's were 'Labourers' I am certain John never went to Germany with his wife, they never got together until late 1880's early 1890's. However I cannot find any marriage cert. for them. Robert Southwell's mother re-married in the late 1860's to a George Pirie. Have looked under this name on the 1871 census, but no luck. Found his mother Ann Pirie on 1881 census with her two children John and Walter Pirie. But none of her children from her first marriage were with her. Best wishes, and thanks again