Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gravestones Aberdeenshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 27 Jul 2004 18:48

Hi You probably nearly all know of this site but I thought I would mention it anyway. In Google search enter ANESFHS MI Index (yes it is capitals etc), you can do a Kirkyard search or surname search it gives the gravestone number and people buried in that grave. For a married couple enter the maiden name of the wife. I have found lots of family graves. However Tullynessle and Lumphanan are not yet on there. Hope it helps Pat

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 27 Jul 2004 21:28

Hi Marion Here are a few Cardonald Cemetery 547 Mosspark Boulevard Glasgow, G52 First Burial - 18th April 1922 Eastern Necropolis Gallowgate, Glasgow, G31 First Burial - 27th August 1847 Eastwood Cemetery 271 Thornliebank Road, Glasgow, G46 First Burial - 1911 Glasgow Necropolis Cathedral Square, Glasgow, G4 First Burial - 1832 Lambhill Cemetery Balmore Road, Glasgow, G23 First Burial - 23rd July 1881 Lambhill Extension Tresta Road, Glasgow, G23 First Burial - April 1997 Linn Cemetery Lainshaw Drive, Glasgow, G45 First Burial - July 1961 Riddrie Park Cemetery Cumbernauld Road, Glasgow, G33 First Burial - July 1901 Sandymount Cemetery Gartcocher Terrace, Glasgow G32 First Burial - July 1878 Sighthill Cemetery Springburn Road, Glasgow, G21 First Burial - 1840 Southern Necropolis Caledonia Road, Glasgow, G5 First Burial - Central 21st July 1840 Eastern - 1846 Western - December 1850 St Kentigerns 947 Balmore Road, Glasgow, G23 First Burial - 1st December 1882 Tollcross Cemetery Corbett Street, Glasgow, G32 First Burial - 1897 Western Necropolis Tresta Road, Glasgow, G23 First Burial - April 1882 Western Necropolis Extension Tresta Road, Glasgow, G23 Carmunock Cemetery Carmunock Road Netherton Road, Glasgow, G76

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Jul 2004 09:01

There is also Craigton Cemetery which is in the right area but possibly opened too late for the period your searching and Govan Churchyard, 868 Govan Road. Copies of the interment records for some of the graveyards are held in the Glasgow Room of the Mitchell Library

Lynne

Lynne Report 28 Jul 2004 09:25

Hi Patricia Thank you so much for that link. From it, I have found at least 6 of my ancestors graves in Aberdeenshire. Looks like I will be out with my digital camera at the weekend. Thanks again Lynne

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 28 Jul 2004 14:54

Hi folks Glad to have been of help to someone. It's usually through browsing that you happen upon a useful site, fortunatley I have now learned to save it under my favorites. I am visiting Aberdeenshire in September (I live in Surrey) and shall be visiting graveyards at Oyne,Cluny, Keig,Alford, Tullynessle, Lumphanan, Kincardine O'Neil, Birse, Sauchen,Clatt, Newhills, Coull, Leochel Cushnie, Logie Coldstone, Towie and Monymusk. My husband,son and myself will be taking digital cameras and we shall take as many photos of gravestones as possible. They have their orders. I shall post the results here and can then E- mail the photo if anyone has a matchig rellie. Bye for now Good hunting Pat

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Jul 2004 17:58

Hi Marion Just to let you know the only cemeteries in Patricia's list that are near Govan/Gorbals area are Cardonald and the Southern Necropolis. Hope this helps Caroline

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 28 Jul 2004 18:13

Thanks Caroline As you gathered I copied and pasted it trying to help. That's what you get for letting loose an English person to gather info on Scotland LOL. Apologies to all the Scots for my lak of geography. Pat