Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's an infant?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 27 Jul 2004 12:20

Sounds like a daft question, but this appears on several burial records. I have others saying 'one week' or 'one month'. How old would an infant be? Thanks.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 27 Jul 2004 12:25

As some have stated one week etc I wonder if infant was used for deaths at birth? Chrissie

Pat

Pat Report 27 Jul 2004 12:28

Kate I always thought in this context an infant was under a year old, and records vary some stating the age in months others not bothering and just opting for the word infant instead. But maybe I am totally wrong.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jul 2004 12:40

I work in the infant part of a primary school, ages 4-7. According to my dictionary, infant CAN mean anyone under the age of majority (18 nowadays, 21 earlier), but generally means under 7. Helen

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 27 Jul 2004 15:59

Thanks everyone for your replies. This is the same problem I had in Geography at school - did infant mortality statistics refer to deaths under 1, deaths under 5 etc etc? It's nice to know terms are still so vague after 200 years :)