Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are they Brothers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 26 Jul 2004 01:15

On my family tree i have found a Thomas Hill born 1835 (Scotland) and on his death 1893 as well as his marriage certificate he states his parents as Robert Hill and Margaret Hill nee Young. I have found a Robert Hill died 1856 age 55(Scotland) and on his death certificate he states his parents as Robert and Margaret Hill nee Young. Can these two be brothers even with a age gap of 34 years as i have not been able to trace the birth of Robert. Can someone advise what i should do next to find a result.

Kim

Kim Report 26 Jul 2004 08:35

I would have thought anything is possible, but isn't there on these boards a Scottish naming pattern and weren't they strict in Scotland about naming their children after father's and grandfather's names. Someone else will have more details I'm sure but I've certainly found six generations All called Alexander Ross, so is it possible the names you were found were cousins or uncle and nephew rather than brothers? Alternatively, sometimes, if the children were brought up by grandparents they would often enter the grandparents name in father's name. (if their own father had died or they were illegitimate say) Kim

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jul 2004 10:35

I think an age gap of 34 years, while not actually impossible is highly unlikely. Not sure about things north of the border, but could you find baptism records for them, or find thefamily members on 1841/1851 censuses? Another alternative is that the Robert Hill and Margaret Young are two different couples with the same name - both Margarets could be cousins for example. Or the same Robert could have married two different Margarets. I don't think either the christian or surnames of these parents is particularly rare. Helen